Discuss routing of cables in domestic? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
hello again,

what are your methods of chasing plaster board walls with skim.

example : say i want new socket on to ring circuit at height 450mm, how would you get the cable down past the noggin/support between studs.

do you chase out either side of noggin and cut into the noggin, so cable can sit in groove and cover with steel plate and patch back up.

is this the normal way you guys would do this??? and whats the cleanest tool???wall chaser with hoover?

you don't chase board. you do like you suggest for the noggins, but bash holes and fish for the rest.
no need for steel plate if RCD protected.

OK then cut holes carefully only use a 2lb . hammer. fill holes with expandy foam. trim and paint when set.

Last edited:
Depending on the size of the holes you are going to 'bash' you could drill the noggings with a long auger bit rather than stuggling to 'notch' them.

if you want a tidy hole, use a circular cutter over each noggin. keep the cut out piece, and with a bit of jiggery pokery you can replace the bit cut out. chamfer the edges of the cut, and use powdered polyfilla to fill cut hole. Dont use ready mixed, thats crap. And I would suggest you use only interior polyfilla as it is a better product than most. In an hour, when set, sand the polyfilla using 40 grit sand paper on a wooden block. Dont use smoother sandpaper, that will just polish the polyfilla and you will see the lump. When you have done that, if you have been careful,it can be painted, no need for a plasterer, more money for you !

yeah, but that's no fun. shouldn't be noggins anyway. chippies only fit them a. when their studding is in danger of falling down, and b. when you ask them for one at 1200mm and they fit it at 1500mm

Last edited:
so your auger bit be of 1.5m if you drilling from loft to reach to nogging in middle of studs,
Depending on the size of the holes you are going to 'bash' you could drill the noggings with a long auger bit rather than stuggling to 'notch' them.

No.

You bash the required holes and drill up at an angle. It doesn't need to be a really long auger bit. 12 inches would probably work.

somone leans on it and there hand go right through,,,,,,
if you want a tidy hole, use a circular cutter over each noggin. keep the cut out piece, and with a bit of jiggery pokery you can replace the bit cut out. chamfer the edges of the cut, and use powdered polyfilla to fill cut hole. Dont use ready mixed, thats crap. And I would suggest you use only interior polyfilla as it is a better product than most. In an hour, when set, sand the polyfilla using 40 grit sand paper on a wooden block. Dont use smoother sandpaper, that will just polish the polyfilla and you will see the lump. When you have done that, if you have been careful,it can be painted, no need for a plasterer, more money for you !

the correct way, as so clearly put by gpz, is to use a hole saw say 2" drill at the noggin. save the cut out, chop the noggin, bodge in the piece you cut out with filler, fill and sand, but remember to fit the cable in before you fill .

Also there are some very helpful screw-togeather 'rods' on the market now which will help you 'fish' the cables down.

With whatever method you use to navigate the noggings just keep your eyes open for nails which may be in the wood work.

kkkkkkkkkk what if i missed the noggin, only jokin. ty for you time.
Next,.
what is the best tool for cutting rectangle out for box? and would you just fix box to stud? screw through the side of it??

Also there are some very helpful screw-togeather 'rods' on the market now which will help you 'fish' the cables down.

With whatever method you use to navigate the noggings just keep your eyes open for nails which may be in the wood work.
ive seen them , about fiver for 10M length

Done this once stud wall could get to the top so cut a hole in the stud 25mm auger half way down was a noggin ,so i used a 20mm auger that was 300mm long but joined this to a 1 meter 16mm masonary using some old hose and a couple of jubalee clips then slid some 20mm conduit over the top of the 2 then drilled the noggin wobbled a bit but there was no patching to do so the time i saved for hacking out and patching was about the same as making a drill bit longer

Reply to routing of cables in domestic? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net