Discuss rules for pvc trunking in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

confused-fuse

loacl housing group are re-wiring 40+ homes around near me i was asked why thay are using pvc trunking for all circuits .. i remember in the late 80s doing houses with trunking but that was just lighting drops only ..

what are the rules for pvc trunking in a house just seems lazy not to chase the wall out and burrie cable to 50mm then shield and plaster ... i know what the argument will be .. 30ma rcd all circuits so it will be ok for pvc trunking...

regards Mr.fuse confused most of the time haha:cool:

i believe it all comes down to money,quick,cheap replaceable items when broken,i have never had to re-wire a whole house/flat in trunking,i think it looks awful but thats prob because what it is,just spacing factors on the trunking,you dont need rcd on certain circuits when in surface trunking,just ererything in the bathroom as you prob already know and sockets rcd too,council over here mainly use this method and it is slapped in,makes me cringe when i see how rough some peoples work is but its all about expense.

While it may be lazy using trunking it saves a hell of a lot of mess, no chasing no making good and only a small amount of cleaning to do

But I have to agrre the end result looks awful in a domestic property

i know its looks awful but i dont think its safe any child or adult could pull the pvc trunking to expose the cable then its not safe one bit .. thay have 2 days max per house to rewire .. so trunking down to 450mm and lighting drop to 2400mm yuk
not very nice .. been told thay did the other part of the city last year and thay used protek ccu and trunking in every room thay even trunked the heating pipes ..

I've seen council property' completely trunked I.e across the ceiling for the loop-in... Awful being the optimum word!

To be honest though I agree with what was said about being able to pull the cap off the trunk etc and that would be very likely in some council estates. But, surface mounted ( less holes) has got to be safer on the fire rating level if the previous holes are sealed but that is highly unlikely with a council install. Also, less likely to in-cure rodent damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
if its anything like the council houses near me then when you chase the walls out the just fall apart as there made cheaply with that awful pebble concrete

either that dry or the chasing would mean tenants having to redecorate n trying to claim that the woodchip wall paper was that stuff they had seen on Melissas show U know the £35 a roll exclusive one off stuff

Surface trunking is not as bad as some would have you believe

I have seen and done many houses with trunking for all the drops
With a bit of thought,it can be hidden from sight,following door frames,corners etc
If its painted same as a wall.it is sometimes hardly noticeable

It is generally done for council tennants who are not paying the bill directly
If they were of a mind to not want these trunkings,their cost for a full new installation would be the cost of sinking the cables in the walls

I rewired houses(surface clipped) before trunkings were available and trunking is,was and will be a simple effective and sensible material for domestic rewires now and future

So sorry lads,not with the main opinions on this one :eek:

i just hate the dam stuff .. looks awful and i aways think thats not safe .. but in the osg it says all cables must be burried to 50mm .. well its the local auth houses thay can do what thay want really ... late 80s i was doing lighting drops with pvc trunking yuk as the local housing group did not want to chase the walls out pre-1940 houses ... i moaned about trunking then ... i wonder why thay asked me to leave after 1yr of working with them... the future is plastic... first flat i had was pvc i soon ripped all that out and chased,capped,plasterd the walls again ...

As well as cost it is also a damage limitation exercise, trunking everywhere excludes the need for drilling and chasing which as pointed out will result in numerous claims of having to redecorate at £35 a roll.

It's usually the folks that are not paying for the work that are the most upset by the mess, no matter how much of a tip the place is before you turn up, you'll always have to leave it cleaner than when you started, and in some cases I've even been asked to remove my boots, "sorry health and safety requirement" - i'm not dodging your cat's droppings in my socks!!!

It's usually the folks that are not paying for the work that are the most upset by the mess, no matter how much of a tip the place is before you turn up, you'll always have to leave it cleaner than when you started, and in some cases I've even been asked to remove my boots, "sorry health and safety requirement" - i'm not dodging your cat's droppings in my socks!!!

I have just finished one of those :D

Reply to rules for pvc trunking in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net