Discuss Run a toy train set using solar pv in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

The Launderer

One for any geeks on here.

We are looking to open up a showroom for our renewables products and looking for ways to make it family friendly,

At an exhibition a couple of years ago I seen a solar PV company running a toy train set using a couple of solar panels and a bright light.

I would like to copy this idea but unsure how to go about it.

I think I will put 2 x 250 W panels on the display. I will then point 2 x 500W floodlights at them and will fit a dimmer switch. I would like to use the power generated to power a small train set and hope that the dimmer switch will act as a speed control, ie the more light the faster the train.

Only thing is I have no idea how to get the power being generated by the panels into the train set.

Anyone got any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry i asked now. It was a serious question.

Are you saying that I simply connect the panels to the train set and it works. Nothing else required?

If I'm honest if the best your renewables can run is a train set I don't think your customers will be impressed.

Maybe run the entire office and show it works and have some coal in reserve?

So much green energy about and it's snowing outside! Global warming or the ice age??

Don't mean to be a sceptic about renewables but I am!

The panels are what? 30V so X2 you will have 60v if in series, do not know what current a train uses but would imagine it to be low, so it would be one fast train, guess you would need some sort of controller or lower voltage panels.

Sorry for the comment, but it did read rather strange.

tbh I think I'd be more likely to question the motivations of someone selling solar PV by pointing 2 x 500W floods at a couple of panels in a showroom.

Stick a small panel outside to power the train, fair enough, but not using 1kW of lights to do it, that's just wasting energy which is completely counter to what we're supposed to be about as an industry.

If I'm honest if the best your renewables can run is a train set I don't think your customers will be impressed.

Maybe run the entire office and show it works and have some coal in reserve?

So much green energy about and it's snowing outside! Global warming or the ice age??

Don't mean to be a sceptic about renewables but I am!

We will run the offices on a PV system. This is meant as a bit of fun to keep the kids amused.

tbh I think I'd be more likely to question the motivations of someone selling solar PV by pointing 2 x 500W floods at a couple of panels in a showroom.

Stick a small panel outside to power the train, fair enough, but not using 1kW of lights to do it, that's just wasting energy which is completely counter to what we're supposed to be about as an industry.

I am really regretting asking this question now. Its meant as a bit of fun to keep children amused whilst their parents look around. We will not have the floodlights on constantly. Only when kids want to have a go on the train set. Have you seen the weather in Scotland. There are sadly many many days when there would not be enough power being generated.

The panels are what? 30V so X2 you will have 60v if in series, do not know what current a train uses but would imagine it to be low, so it would be one fast train, guess you would need some sort of controller or lower voltage panels.

Sorry for the comment, but it did read rather strange.

One of the reasons I asked the question is that I really don't know how I would make this work. It might be that the 500w lights would be too much. I was hoping someone would be able to give some advice.

Previous comment about using 500 watt light to run your train set sums it all up.

Use the coal I suggested and buy a steam train more fun for the kids plus you can spend months on risk assessments.

Big sceptic sorry

You will need a way of reducing the voltage to 12VDC max or the loco will go very fast very briefly :D before the magic smoke escapes.
Here's a cheap & cheerful starter set to consider - link

Thanks for the advice and the link to the train set. Never thought I would get the chance to play with train sets again. :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Previous comment about using 500 watt light to run your train set sums it all up.

Use the coal I suggested and buy a steam train more fun for the kids plus you can spend months on risk assessments.

Big sceptic sorry

When you sell a system to a friend who you have known for 40 years and calculate that his earning/savings will come to £10000, then we have one of the worst years ever and it still exceeds your calculation, then you start believing.

The truth of the matter is because of energy usage and the cost of energy we need renewables, but as the governments and power stations can not earn from people producing their own energy they welcome comments by all the sceptics.

Back to the OP, yes I can see the fun in your idea, switch on the light/sun replacement and it produces energy and makes things move, a bit like magic....

Decided to have a wee look at this myself. So here are my thoughts:

Panels will be 15% efficient so shining 2 x 500 w on 2 panels will give 150 watts of power from the PV at 60V.

I have calculated that will give me 2.5A at 60V

I have found some info that shows a transformer on a train set runs at 15V at 4A.

So I need to find something that will reduce my voltage from 60V to 15V. This will increase current from 2.5A to 10A.

So to get to the 4A I need I need to reduce the total floodlight power to about 400 watt.

If anyone agrees / disagrees with my calcs please let me know. If anyone knows where I can get a device to reduce the voltage from 60V to 15V I would be very grateful.

Reply to Run a toy train set using solar pv in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net