Discuss running a house from car batteries for the electrical idiot in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm not sure what inverters are available in France, the one I used was an 'Axpert' but I've seen it rebranded under other names as well. It was pretty cheap as pure sine inverters go and it's been very reliable.

Here's the battery bank, you can see the main fuse at the top right and also one the lighting circuit fuses laying loose on the left if you look carefully

0.jpg

Here's the inverter (the silver box in the corner);

1.jpg

I ran the back-up power from the inverter on extension leads. Here's the lead that powers the coffee machine and above you can see one of the 12vDC 10 watt floodlights that's powered direct from the batteries.

6.jpg

This was another 12VDC floodlight that provides back-up lighting in my office, it was just a plain light so I added the pull switch.

View attachment 41451

As I said it's not going to win any awards but it served it's purpose when we had regular blackouts.

Wow. thank you for the pictures. that is really helpful. and those LEDs look brilliant (literally). Thanks Marvo. much appreciated.

You're welcome. I see you can buy 10 watt 12VDC floodlights on ebay for under five UK quid and the LED strip light is less than 10 quid per 5 meter length which is pretty cheap. I assume similar is available in France if you shop around so you should be able to buy back-up lights for the entire house for about 50 Euros.

Indeed Static, which is why I use the golf trolley batteries which are deep cycle, and likely to be virtually fully discharged every round, then charged up again for my next attempt at breaking 100...and that's just on the front nine!

They are also very compact, about 9" square, and 3" deep, so very portable. ( i believe they come in metric sizes too!)

Yep, golf cart batteries would be deep cycle as would fork-lift batteries, both would be suitable but I found that batteries made/marketed for a specific purpose were inexplicably more expensive that a general deep cycle battery of exactly the same specification.

The cheapest decent quality deep cycle batteries I could lay my hands on at the time were Trojan T105 which are a wet lead acid type. I installed 4 of them in series to give me the 24VDC that the inverter required. I've had them now for about 4 years and they've seen about 200 full cycles and maybe 25 partial discharge cycles and they're still in great condition. We had a planned power outage the other day that was for 6 hours and the system ran the entire time and still had about 30% left in reserve when the power came back on. Finger crossed they last another 4 years without problems.

Good info there, thanks Marvo!
To be fair, I thought the OP was looking for a simple, compact and cheap way to get some light when the mains failed for a couple of hours...
now I think she could run a call centre on a PP3!

Think I'm getting confused...
the PP9 had snap terminals like the PP3
this is the chap with the springs...
61733.jpg

and is the "lantern" type, iirc...
I had a flashlight that took 2 of these. It was very heavy, and very bright for about, oh, 5 minutes, before it started to dim. Things have come a long way with battery technology and LEDs!
PP1, PP7 and PP9 were all 9v with snap connectors.
There was another one, which was rectangular, and had screw-on connectors but I cannot recall what it was called.

"There was another one, which was rectangular, and had screw-on connectors but I cannot recall what it was called."
Oh well, here you go...it was also called a lantern battery.

g556654.jpg

Bit before my time but you used to need a dual voltage 90v/1.5v battery to run portable radios.
According to t'internet they stopped making them in the 60s.

A decorator I used to work with found one in his shed. It had a battery clip on it so I tried to get it working by sticking 10 PP3s together, but let the smoke out.

Reply to running a house from car batteries for the electrical idiot in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net