Discuss Running a power cable from home siren to camera in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All
I'm thinking of installing a CCTV wifi camera at the front of my house. I would prefer for it to be wired and was wondering as I have my wired Swann house siren box on the wall close to where I would like the camera to go whether it would be possible to run an electricity cable to power the camera from the siren unit.
Sorry if this is a stupid question!
Bett

No that most likely won't be suitable, although they are most likely be 12vdc worimf a camera off an alarm siren is a very poor idea

It’s your house. You can “try” powering it off the bell and even double up on the cores to give less of a voltage drop and it may work. But you would also have to set and trip the alarm, then with the sounder and strobe going check if the camera still functions as running at full load
Preferred Methods good to bad

1 Run a separate cable.
2 use spare cores of bell cable
3 try and power camera off bell 12 v

Some alarms have a small fuse for the bell. If you try and power a camera off it as well it may blow the fuse.
I'm presuming alarms have only designed to output enough power for a bell box, maybe two.

Some alarms have a small fuse for the bell. If you try and power a camera off it as well it may blow the fuse.
I'm presuming alarms have only designed to output enough power for a bell box, maybe two.
unlikely to blow the fuse, the power requirements are low for both products, and as you said most alarms will allow for two sirens, the siren does draw more power when its in alarm mode. so if the camera does works then will it still work when the alarm is going off will be the question.

the other problem you have is .. so now you've got power to the Camera, how are you going to get the video signal back to the DVR???

Reply to Running a power cable from home siren to camera in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock