Discuss Running a radial circuit in bedroom. He in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
HI,

I'm renovating my house room by room and am turning what was the kitchen into a bedroom.

Anyway, I've ran a new 2.5T&E cable from the consumer unit to the bedroom and want to know if this is an acceptable way to wire the room as it will make it much easier if this is allowed. Just not sure how many cables can be fed from the white circular 20A junction box. please see my attached sketch. Thanks!!

wiring sketch.jpg

Your best option steptoe84 would be to get a qualified Electrician in to do this work rather than the DIY bodge you're intending doing, what you intend will only end in tears, pound coins anf heartache.

No...6 cores in one terminal will not make a mechanically sound connection and that's if you can even get them to fit. Chances are you would also need a MF JB which the likes of hager you can only get 4 cores in to the connections.

The way you propose to do it as a typical DIY approach. An electrician would not really consider such a method as it adds a pointless connection in to what would be probably the simplest type of circuit to wire.

Also worth noting that it's new circuit so requires building control notification.

Do you have an RCD? Are your earthing and bonding arrangements adequate?

Last edited:
Hi Lee, don't think Mr Joe Public (no offence intended) realise the implications of DIY electrics, bung it it in if it works jobs a good un, lost count of the times I lost customers by telling them what they should have, the DIY stores have a lot to answer for with regards to safe electrical installations.

Your best option steptoe84 would be to get a qualified Electrician in to do this work rather than the DIY bodge you're intending doing, what you intend will only end in tears, pound coins anf heartache.

Thanks for the advice Pete. I want to do it properly hence asking on this forum. I'm happy running more cable if it make it safer and will conform to regs. A radial is ok though for a bedroom right? So can I literally daisy chain the sockets rather than using the junction box?

You could but of course the install will need testing, bonding will need to be in place as will RCD protection, hence my advice to call a Sparky in, nothing wrong with doing small jobs but a job like you are intending, with access to the live conductors in a Consumers unit (CU) requires a considerable amount of forethought, and experience.

No...6 cores in one terminal will not make a mechanically sound connection and that's if you can even get them to fit. Chances are you would also need a MF JB which the likes of hager you can only get 4 cores in to the connections.

The way you propose to do it as a typical DIY approach. An electrician would not really consider such a method as it adds a pointless connection in to what would be probably the simplest type of circuit to wire.

Also worth noting that it's new circuit so requires building control notification.

Do you have an RCD? Are your earthing and bonding arrangements adequate?
Thanks Lee, so to make it simple would you just run a radial and daisy chain the sockets to cut out the terminal? I have a good earth at the consumer unit (which was new in 2016 and was installed by a sparky) if that's what you mean?

You could but of course the install will need testing, bonding will need to be in place as will RCD protection, hence my advice to call a Sparky in, nothing wrong with doing small jobs but a job like you are intending, with access to the live conductors in a Consumers unit (CU) requires a considerable amount of forethought, and experience.

I will be getting it tested after I've done it as I always do, I need to get the whole house tested anyway. Yes I have new breakers at the CU and will obvs be isolating so nothing is live whilst working on it.

Thanks Lee, so to make it simple would you just run a radial and daisy chain the sockets to cut out the terminal? I have a good earth at the consumer unit (which was new in 2016 and was installed by a sparky) if that's what you mean?
Steptoe84, you seem to understand the implications of what Lee is saying, yet choose to ignore the advice, call a sparky in to do the work properly, afterall it's yours and your Families lives at stake, have you ever seen an electrical fie? I have and it aint a pleasant sight, do the right thing Mate, you will sleep easier, trust me.

To do the work you want, it needs to be adequately tested with a meter like this goo.gl/MRJ5Ur and other aspects need to be checked, so with the questions your asking and the way you originally wanted to wire it I would advise for your safety to get a professional qualified electrician to do the work.

What you are suggesting begs the question of what is happening to the cables and sockets that were in place in the old kitchen!

Thanks for the advice so far. I will be getting it all tested before its live. I am intending running the wires to back boxes and then getting sparky to connect into CU.
Ok so my first idea was a shambles. Would Option 1 or 2 be a better way to run the wiring?......

View attachment 37976
Number one as you want all connections to be accessible.

Begs the question is, where are you going to find an Electrician to test and certify your installation?

This is turning into a step by step thread!

If and I say if you really do intend to get a spark to test and certify, I would politely suggest you find one before you do ANYTHING ........... people who call me to come and test get politely told to go away.........

Begs the question is, where are you going to find an Electrician to test and certify your installation?
Don't you worry Pete I've got one. The guy who fitted my new CU and who has tested other work I've done. I'm just cutting out on some labour costs by doing first fix and always have work checked and tested.

This is turning into a step by step thread!

If and I say if you really do intend to get a spark to test and certify, I would politely suggest you find one before you do ANYTHING ........... people who call me to come and test get politely told to go away.........

Why would I lie about it? I wont be calling you so don't worry

Reply to Running a radial circuit in bedroom. He in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net