Discuss Running a shed from an extension lead - Part P in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

This is your second post, and I don't get what you mean by illegal.... Unless I'm mistaken, we're not Australia where DIY electrics is actually illegal. DIY electrical work can be perfectly legal and safe in the UK.

EDIT: Just noticed your profile does indeed say Australia, so I think this is the source of your confusion. DIY electrics is not illegal in the UK.
It should be though

[QUOTE="Outofphase, post: 1238070,

My question is, will my shed then be subject to regulations

YES of course it will !

Basically anything that is connected to the mains wiring in any way,
is covered by code.
So you always where covered by code !
You have gotten away with it, simply because you haven't been caught yet.[/QUOTE]
the regs are only up to and appertaining to the fixed installation what is plugged into a socket is beyond the scope of the regs
reg 420 covers this (cant remember the full reg number)

Found this:

Q3: To what types of electrical work does Part P apply?

• In or attached to a dwelling
  • In the common parts of buildings serving one or more dwellings, but excluding power supplies to lifts
  • In a building that receives its electricity from a source located within or shared with a dwelling, and
  • In a garden or in or on land associate with a building where the electricity supply is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling
I don't know to what extend this is applied. If I roll a normal 13a extension lead out into my shed, powered my install via 13a plug, surely that wouldn't be subject to regs?

I'm not trying to pick holes in the regs, but I'm trying to work out the grey area I've stepped into.

Bluestar, if you could find a source for that information for me to read through, that would be great! I had a quick google search but didn't find anything new.

It would be legal plug a caravan in with a 32a plug wouldn't it? Maybe I need some wheels and a tow hook for my shed.

EDIT: Just to add - I have tested everything with a 500v Megger (all fine), all connections are secure and robust, and no risk of water ingress. All fittings/conduit/sockets/MCB's/wires are new and unused.

Matey.... Part P applies to new circuits, rewires, fuseboard changes and a few other things in England - a dedicated 32A commando socket would fall under this.

As it stands an extension lead "fudge" doesn't

just for arguments sake his circuit up to the commando socket will be subject to regs and part p
but reg 430 note 4 says anything plugged in on a flexible cable is beyond the scope of the regs
so now we are saying that part p of the building regs is above the iee regs or should we argue that his shed is on a flexible cable and plug and therefore not darkwood asked this very question on here about a jet wash

just for arguments sake his circuit up to the commando socket will be subject to regs and part p
but reg 430 note 4 says anything plugged in on a flexible cable is beyond the scope of the regs
so now we are saying that part p of the building regs is above the iee regs or should we argue that his shed is on a flexible cable and plug and therefore not darkwood asked this very question on here about a jet wash

The circuit from the house CU to the Commando socket would be wired by the electrician (if he agrees to, that is) so the fixed part would be legal/certified etc I believe?

Up to 13A you can plug in what you want.... but over that, how ever you look at it, it will fall under Part P...

Whether I like it or not is irrelevant...

Any written proof of this? Not trying to argue, but if there's mixed opinions then somebody must be wrong... :p

Anything that is plugged in, or connected via a switch is subject to the ISITEE, Which is a requirement of the IET

Hi - just my opinion, but Part P is law and so BS7671 could not invalidate or over rule any requirement specified by it. As fixed wiring installed in a dwelling or its outbuilding is the specific focus and intent of Part P of the Building Regulations I vote the shed wiring is Part P, temporary supply cable or no. On a lighter note ... if the shed had wheels a better case could be made perhaps?

Reply to Running a shed from an extension lead - Part P in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock