Discuss Running cable behind skirting board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
now don't jump to conclusions, I need any advice on running cable vertically behind a skirting board not horizontally. Customer has large 1960's skirting boards approx. 250mm high, maybe higher, and has asked me to install new recessed sockets without removing the skirting board. A fairly easy job if there is lots of plaster and a low skirting board. These are huge so any useful tips or tricks would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

Thats another solution, feeling a bit daft for asking now. LOL
That's what the forum is here for Chris, if you haven't done something before how would you know how to do it.

As Lee has posted, you'll need a channeling chisel that has a long neck (aka 'extended') to get behind the skirting.
There are some issues, however
  • You may have problems finding a chisel with a long enough reach, especially if you have very deep skirting
  • Sometimes the chisel tends to push the skirting off the wall
  • The plaster/rubble created by the chisel gets stuck/trapped behind the skirting so it doesnt stay flush to the wall.
  • Often you need to lift floorboards to run your cables, and the skirting has to come off in any case.
In my experience, its better, quicker, easier to bite the bullet and remove the skirting.

A good question!

I remember thinking 'how do I possibly get past this skirting board', then I watched an experienced electrician who used a fairly thin (perhaps 8 or 10mm), long drill bit (450mm) which did the job fairly easily. You could use a shorter drill bit but then you are drilling at more of an angle and you may still be in the wall (rather than in the ceiling void) when you get under the floorboards. If the 8-10mm bit is not big enough to get your cable(s) through then drill again with a larger bore drill bit. I like to start off with a smaller drill as there is less chance of damaging the skirting.

Ps.. @Leesparkykent .. Do you actually use that armeg channelling bit to get behind skirting Lee? Do you find it easier than just using a long drill bit, or not much difference?

Last edited:
I used similar armeg bit, on standard size skirting and moved the skirting. Perhaps I'm just harm fisted. If it's tall skirting I suspect the properties old and plaster is just going to give way. Think I would advise customer to have skirting or part of skirting removed by carpenter.

Thanks for the replies. I have a standard sized channelling tool but there is no way its going all the way behind this skirting board. I didn't know an extended one was available. So that's a great tip. I'm a little concerned at using it as the skirting has quite a deep profile at the top that looks like it would just love to snap off if an SDS gets near it. The plaster looks pretty good as far as looks go. But I do take the point about it all getting trapped behind the skirting. I might try the flexible drill bit first in an attempt in avoiding the plaster falling off and into the hole. Thanks for all the tips, very helpful.

Thanks for the replies. I have a standard sized channelling tool but there is no way its going all the way behind this skirting board. I didn't know an extended one was available. So that's a great tip. I'm a little concerned at using it as the skirting has quite a deep profile at the top that looks like it would just love to snap off if an SDS gets near it. The plaster looks pretty good as far as looks go. But I do take the point about it all getting trapped behind the skirting. I might try the flexible drill bit first in an attempt in avoiding the plaster falling off and into the hole. Thanks for all the tips, very helpful.

You wouldn't get a standard (non angled) channeling tool behind the skirting it would just damage the skirting. I use the chisel (either hand held or SDS) to make a channel from the socket all the way down to the top of the skirting, then you have more room to get your long drill bit at more of a vertical angle so you can get through without damaging the skirting and also getting under the floorboards.

A good question!

I remember thinking 'how do I possibly get past this skirting board', then I watched an experienced electrician who used a fairly thin (perhaps 8 or 10mm), long drill bit (450mm) which did the job fairly easily. You could use a shorter drill bit but then you are drilling at more of an angle and you may still be in the wall (rather than in the ceiling void) when you get under the floorboards. If the 8-10mm bit is not big enough to get your cable(s) through then drill again with a larger bore drill bit. I like to start off with a smaller drill as there is less chance of damaging the skirting.

Ps.. @Leesparkykent .. Do you actually use that armeg channelling bit to get behind skirting Lee? Do you find it easier than just using a long drill bit, or not much difference?

Yeah I have an use one I find if you hold the skirting with your foot it doesn't come away. TBH I normally use a combination of using a 16mm drill bit and the channelling bit.

Yes the long 10mm drill bit is a good idea to get started as it will have some flex it, then it might be better to use a long cole chisel to make the hole bigger(never had them fancy chasing chisels when i did house bashing) , it all depends on how soft or hard the plaster is. Once you have done one or two you will work out the best way to go about it :)

In old properties with really big skirting boards I've cut flush boxes into the skirting itself in the past, but it can be time consuming. The advantage is no damage to plaster or making good.

In old properties with really big skirting boards I've cut flush boxes into the skirting itself in the past, but it can be time consuming. The advantage is no damage to plaster or making good.

Nice idae dave, but if it was an old property couldnt see many owners going for these large skirtings cut into, and listed buildings it would be a big no no!

Reply to Running cable behind skirting board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net