Discuss Running cable over steel beams below chipboard floor in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My builders have left a 20mm gap above the steel beams supporting the new first floor by setting the timber joists 20mm above them.
Is it acceptable to run cables through the gap and over the beams?
Cheers
Dave

My builders have left a 20mm gap above the steel beams supporting the new first floor by setting the timber joists 20mm above them.
Cheers
Dave
Don't see whynot

Cheers
Dave

Turn the question around - why wouldn't it be OK?

If you wrap the cable round one of the steel beams, tightly, about 4 turns should do it, you might get Radio Luxembourg on a still night.
where have you been the last 30 years since lux. closed down?

Sailing the seven seas! Closed down??? They just went undercover, hence you need that "special" aerial.
You won't remember Stuart Henry on that wee radio boat off the East coast then?
Pirate radio...those were my days!

Cheers
Dave

So the OP has been on, reviewed the thread and as yet updated it with any responses ...............

Very poor.

The question is - what does the steel beam support, if it isn't the floor? Is there any chance the cable could be trapped / crushed?

There is a requirement for cables above ceilings and below floors to be provided with extra protection if they pass through joists or battens.

I get the impression that's not quite what's going on here - sounds to me like the builders have left a void. But..... was only trying to make the OP think for themselves.

Sailing the seven seas! Closed down??? They just went undercover, hence you need that "special" aerial.
You won't remember Stuart Henry on that wee radio boat off the East coast then?
Pirate radio...those were my days!
remember it well. kenny everett, tony blackburn, and others all started their careers there.

tilll that sausage wilson closed them down.

ah Tel...magic times, thank you for that!
Apologies to the OP, we have gone a bit off-topic here as Midwest rightly pointed out...sorry, it's just what happens, sometimes...
Oh, and I was wrong earlier...4 turns of cable gets you Hilversum!
Doh!
PS-Don't you love those old valve radios?

TBH Handy Spark, they changed the vessel name often to try to confuse the authorities...but it was a joy to listen to the music being interrupted by the sound of the ship's rigging swaying in the wind...and all the time I was huddled under the bedclothes listening to the station on my Perdio Popsy 2, 6 transistor radio with earphones and faux leather case...the first time I heard Grace Slick sing Face To The Wind was also a seminal moment...
(Those under 60 ignore that!)

Reply to Running cable over steel beams below chipboard floor in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net