Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Running Ethernet cable alongside SWA. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. sparksburnout

sparksburnout Electrician's Arms

Got a job where customer wants power to an outbuilding, and also wants to extend their Router down to the same building. SWA is going to be fixed to concrete posts just above ground level, and I was going to run Ethernet on same route, probably tied to SWA. Is this a good idea, and would I need shielded cable? Run is about 50M. I am not into data but I am presuming the armouring on the SWA will prevent any induction or interference problems?

2. hightower

hightower Electrician's Arms

Why don't you run SWA Cat5e as well, just to cover your bases. That said, I can't see it having an issue - we have all sorts of legacy data running parallel to power in the school and we haven't seen any effects in all the years I've been here.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. sparksburnout

Thanks HT I didn't realise there was such stuff to be honest! Seems like a very good idea to me.

4. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

• Like Like x 1
  5. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

Powerline is the easy option. If not then SWA CAT5e but if cost is too much then outdoor rated with shielding would suffice.

Depending on what kit he's running in the outbuilding you may get some harmonic distortion caused by switched mode power supplies etc which could have a negative impact on the data cable.

7. sparksburnout

I am pretty sure it is just for an internet connection, its just an office for him. As I don't keep Ethernet cable in stock it might not cost him much more for me to get a custom length of SWA Cat5e.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. hightower

hightower Electrician's Arms

As Murdoch has said, PowerLine adapters are great for getting you out of a pickle (I have them all over my house) but if you're pulling one cable anyway you may as well pull another and have the job done properly.

9. Murdoch

a quick look suggests 50m of SWA CAT 5 is only £90+ VAT or £2.25 + VAT per meter (TLC prices) ......... so not too bad for a pro install

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

Might as well buy a drum of the stuff as he needs 50 M.

11. Murdoch

Or probably 100m and TLC tend to be high on this stuff so easy to get a better price...

12. sparksburnout

Thanks guys. I would have had to buy a drum of CAT5 anyway so the SWA is a good option. Didn't even know it existed as I don't dabble in such things usually, but it has got to be the best solution.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Murdoch

FWIW you can buy cheap testers for cat 5 too.

• Like Like x 1
  14. sparksburnout

I think I'll bang test that bit......

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. Dayo1959

Dayo1959 EF Member

Just a bit curious here, how will the swa bit help the cat 5e>
    I obviously know it will give it extra protection but what else?

16. redbarnman

redbarnman New EF Member

Apart from strength, the armour will provide a good screen against external interference (it should be earthed) and the solid copper conductors of the twisted pairs minimise any signal degradation over the 50m. Mind you a lot of people get concerned at long cable runs forgetting the 3 miles from exchange to house which may be of significantly lower quality after years of being patched up by BT. Normal Cat5 cable is pretty weak and might easily be damaged if someone trod on the wire or hit it with a strimmer. If the customer is reluctant to pay for armoured then at least use an external duct grade having solid copper cores

17. johnat1121

johnat1121 New EF Member

A bit late to the part, sorry; but you could run a bit of fiber optic with the SWA and just use media converters at each end to turn the fiber back to Ethernet this will prevent any form of EMI from the SWA into the data line, many times have i see a bunch of data next to SWA and customers wondering why they have so many network issues !

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. bill01803

bill01803 Active EF Member

I would put it in a duct so as it can be changed if required and use standard ftp cat 5 or 6

19. sparksburnout

not on this job you wouldn't! It's nearly 60M and the cables are being clipped to concrete posts above ground thank goodness

• Like Like x 2
  20. Murdoch

How far are the posts apart? are you having a catinery wire too?