Discuss Running Ethernet cable alongside SWA. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sparksburnout

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Got a job where customer wants power to an outbuilding, and also wants to extend their Router down to the same building. SWA is going to be fixed to concrete posts just above ground level, and I was going to run Ethernet on same route, probably tied to SWA. Is this a good idea, and would I need shielded cable? Run is about 50M. I am not into data but I am presuming the armouring on the SWA will prevent any induction or interference problems?

Why don't you run SWA Cat5e as well, just to cover your bases. That said, I can't see it having an issue - we have all sorts of legacy data running parallel to power in the school and we haven't seen any effects in all the years I've been here.
Thanks HT I didn't realise there was such stuff to be honest! Seems like a very good idea to me.

Powerline is the easy option. If not then SWA CAT5e but if cost is too much then outdoor rated with shielding would suffice.

Depending on what kit he's running in the outbuilding you may get some harmonic distortion caused by switched mode power supplies etc which could have a negative impact on the data cable.

I am pretty sure it is just for an internet connection, its just an office for him. As I don't keep Ethernet cable in stock it might not cost him much more for me to get a custom length of SWA Cat5e.

As Murdoch has said, PowerLine adapters are great for getting you out of a pickle (I have them all over my house) but if you're pulling one cable anyway you may as well pull another and have the job done properly.

I am pretty sure it is just for an internet connection, its just an office for him. As I don't keep Ethernet cable in stock it might not cost him much more for me to get a custom length of SWA Cat5e.

a quick look suggests 50m of SWA CAT 5 is only £90+ VAT or £2.25 + VAT per meter (TLC prices) ......... so not too bad for a pro install

Thanks guys. I would have had to buy a drum of CAT5 anyway so the SWA is a good option. Didn't even know it existed as I don't dabble in such things usually, but it has got to be the best solution.

Just a bit curious here, how will the swa bit help the cat 5e>
I obviously know it will give it extra protection but what else?

Apart from strength, the armour will provide a good screen against external interference (it should be earthed) and the solid copper conductors of the twisted pairs minimise any signal degradation over the 50m. Mind you a lot of people get concerned at long cable runs forgetting the 3 miles from exchange to house which may be of significantly lower quality after years of being patched up by BT. Normal Cat5 cable is pretty weak and might easily be damaged if someone trod on the wire or hit it with a strimmer. If the customer is reluctant to pay for armoured then at least use an external duct grade having solid copper cores

A bit late to the part, sorry; but you could run a bit of fiber optic with the SWA and just use media converters at each end to turn the fiber back to Ethernet this will prevent any form of EMI from the SWA into the data line, many times have i see a bunch of data next to SWA and customers wondering why they have so many network issues !

Reply to Running Ethernet cable alongside SWA. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock