Discuss Running of distribution cables in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding running of distribution cable around a warehouse. My client is having a new 200A supply installed but this will be on a different wall approx 20m away from the existing 100A supply. I need to run a cable from the new supply to the existing busbar chamber and I'm looking for advice on which cable and containment methods would be best. There are a cables, conduits and pipes I would need to get over on the way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pictures could help. Sounds like a cable tray job as that can ride up and down over obstacles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you calculated the correct cable size? If it's in a industrial setting, swa is the go to cable.

Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding running of distribution cable around a warehouse. My client is having a new 200A supply installed but this will be on a different wall approx 20m away from the existing 100A supply. I need to run a cable from the new supply to the existing busbar chamber and I'm looking for advice on which cable and containment methods would be best. There are a cables, conduits and pipes I would need to get over on the way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mark, with respect we will need a lot more information than what you have provided so far.
A photograph or several would be useful
What type of warehouse what materials are kept there?
What is the building constructed of?
Why is the new supply so far away from the existing?
Will the existing supply be completely removed
Is the existing busbar chamber large enough to cope with 50% more loading

Lots more questions but can't think of them at this time.

I haven't got that far yet to be honest. I've just had a look at the job. WPD are proposing to install a 200A CT panel but it's on a wall 90 degrees to the existing. I was thinking SWA but I was wondering about the bending radius on the internal bend as the cable I'd imagine is going to be 70mm and how I would get around this internal 90

Sorry there isn't much information to go on. I'll try and upload some pics. Thanks for your replies by the way.

Running of distribution cables IMG_5747.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Running of distribution cables IMG_5748.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Running of distribution cables IMG_5749.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Running of distribution cables IMG_5750.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Running of distribution cables IMG_5751.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Running of distribution cables IMG_5752.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Running of distribution cables IMG_5753.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Running of distribution cables IMG_5754.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Yes these are the existing installation pics. The existing incomer is to the left of the brown door. The proposed new incomer is to be installed about 10m across to the right of the brown door on the wall 90 degrees. Where the green fuel tank is currently.

I haven't got that far yet to be honest. I've just had a look at the job. WPD are proposing to install a 200A CT panel but it's on a wall 90 degrees to the existing. I was thinking SWA but I was wondering about the bending radius on the internal bend as the cable I'd imagine is going to be 70mm and how I would get around this internal 90

A pair of bends on each wall can kill bending problems,you could mount it on a tray with a step up or down in the corner

Mark, you still haven't confirmed that the existing will be removed, sorry to keep on Mate, I guess the question should be will you be doing a complete rehash of the distribution switch gear?

Last edited:
What would you fix the tray to? I'm not sure the metal panelling would be very strong for fixing to and the block work would be to low and liable to damage with forklifts around

What would you fix the tray to? I'm not sure the metal panelling would be very strong for fixing to and the block work would be to low and liable to damage with forklifts around
The brickwork looks favorite to me, hasn't bothered the gas meter people has it? You could always use Metal Trunking as a way of getting from A to B

That's true, although there is racking along the block work and there's a good chance of the cable being crushed by forklifts loading and unloading the racking
Wouldn't be much of a fork lift driver if he hit the racking and the cable, have to be going some to crush a 70mm2 SWA

Ok. Thanks for all your advice. It's very much appreciated. I've just been reading through the WPD paperwork and it specifies that "The tails should be Tri-rated cable" Does anyone know if SWA is classed as Tri-rated?

Ok. Thanks for all your advice. It's very much appreciated. I've just been reading through the WPD paperwork and it specifies that "The tails should be Tri-rated cable" Does anyone know if SWA is classed as Tri-rated?
Trunking it will be then, does that answer your question? Mark you need to take stock, do you think in all honesty you are up to doing this work.

Trunking it will be then, does that answer your question? Mark you need to take stock, do you think in all honesty you are up to doing this work.
It confirms what I already had in mind to an extent. I thought I would ask others their advice incase there was a better way. Why would I not be up to doing this work Pete?

Reply to Running of distribution cables in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock