Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Running of distribution cables in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Mark1977

Mark1977 EF Member

Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding running of distribution cable around a warehouse. My client is having a new 200A supply installed but this will be on a different wall approx 20m away from the existing 100A supply. I need to run a cable from the new supply to the existing busbar chamber and I'm looking for advice on which cable and containment methods would be best. There are a cables, conduits and pipes I would need to get over on the way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Pictures could help. Sounds like a cable tray job as that can ride up and down over obstacles.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  3. LankyWill

LankyWill Electrician's Arms

Have you calculated the correct cable size? If it's in a industrial setting, swa is the go to cable.

4. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Mark, with respect we will need a lot more information than what you have provided so far.
    A photograph or several would be useful
    What type of warehouse what materials are kept there?
    What is the building constructed of?
    Why is the new supply so far away from the existing?
    Will the existing supply be completely removed
    Is the existing busbar chamber large enough to cope with 50% more loading

Lots more questions but can't think of them at this time.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mark1977

Mark1977 EF Member

I haven't got that far yet to be honest. I've just had a look at the job. WPD are proposing to install a 200A CT panel but it's on a wall 90 degrees to the existing. I was thinking SWA but I was wondering about the bending radius on the internal bend as the cable I'd imagine is going to be 70mm and how I would get around this internal 90

6. Mark1977

Mark1977 EF Member

Sorry there isn't much information to go on. I'll try and upload some pics. Thanks for your replies by the way.

IMG_5747.JPG

IMG_5748.JPG

IMG_5749.JPG

IMG_5750.JPG

IMG_5751.JPG

IMG_5752.JPG

IMG_5753.JPG

IMG_5754.JPG

7. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
  8. Mark1977

Mark1977 EF Member

Yes these are the existing installation pics. The existing incomer is to the left of the brown door. The proposed new incomer is to be installed about 10m across to the right of the brown door on the wall 90 degrees. Where the green fuel tank is currently.

9. Des 56

Des 56 Trusted Advisor

A pair of bends on each wall can kill bending problems,you could mount it on a tray with a step up or down in the corner

10. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Beat me too it Des.

11. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Mark, you still haven't confirmed that the existing will be removed, sorry to keep on Mate, I guess the question should be will you be doing a complete rehash of the distribution switch gear?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  12. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

Delete.

13. Mark1977

Mark1977 EF Member

What would you fix the tray to? I'm not sure the metal panelling would be very strong for fixing to and the block work would be to low and liable to damage with forklifts around

14. Mark1977

Mark1977 EF Member

The existing 100a incomer will be removed and the existing bus bar chamber uprated

15. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    The brickwork looks favorite to me, hasn't bothered the gas meter people has it? You could always use Metal Trunking as a way of getting from A to B

• Agree Agree x 1