Discuss Running Radial From Ring in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SKY

How many radial sockets can you run from a ring main? is the answer the same for a kitchen?

But if you are working on someone house where the cable all chased in how can you tell if the ring socket in question does not already have a radial running from it?

I'm still at college so go easy on me.

Many Thanks

On a ring you can have one spur for every socket any more than that you must have a fused spur testing should tell you but if in doubt take the socket out if you have nine cables its feeding a spur

Chris

i thought you were only allowed one point off a socket on the ring?
ie you cant run a radial off a ring, even if you do put a switch fused spur in ?

You can have an unfused spur connected to each socket outlet on a ring, a quick visual of the socket connections to see if you have a pair of Lives, a pair of neutral & a pair of earths will indicateyou may have a candidate to spur from.
To ensure that you are connecting to a ring (and not the middle of a radial), you deaden the circuit, lift the socket face disconnect the neutrals (check that it is in fact dead first), bell between the two neutral wires, go to nearest next socket (once again check that it isn't Live) disconnect the neutrals go back to the first socket check that continuity is lost.

Hopefully that is clearer than mud:eek:

A switched fused spur on a ring can control several sockets as the maximum demand would be 13Amps (Check the back of the BRB)

Last edited:
the reason you cannot run a radial off a ring is because just 1 cable would be liable to overload ( because 32 amps is too much, generally) but if you came off a ring and went through a 13a spur to sockets then the cable should not overload. but this is a **** way of doing things and should only be used when you KNOW the extra sockets are for low current using using equipment and even then its a last resort

Last edited by a moderator:
So what one is the correct answer,

one post says one radial per ring socket is ok (no fusespur)

and

Another post says that it cannot be done??

Confused..

Have a look at appendix 15 on page 362 of the regs book some quite good information on there.

Sky, don't confuse a spur for a radial; you can have one unfused spur per socket in a ring.
However if you incorporate a fused connection unit (either switched or unswitched) you can then run in several more sockets in a radial ~ as mentioned not the best way to add extra sockets & if you are going into that much effort then it would be reasonably easy to extend the ring

So what one is the correct answer,

one post says one radial per ring socket is ok (no fusespur)

and

Another post says that it cannot be done??

Confused..[/QUO

WHY CANT YOU JUST PUT EXTRA POINTS ON THE RING MAIN AND NOT BOTHER WITH SPURS

Sir, Why the capital letters which insinuates shouting? I'm a 1st year training elec and i'm only asking a general question.
I'm only asking if its possible and is within the regs.
I'm not saying that in some cases breaking into the ring is easier, but in some installs running 1 radial socket from a ring may be easier.

If all simple questions are answered like this maybe i should find another forum for help and advise.

Thanks guys who have guided me.

Last edited by a moderator:
you're right sometimes it's easier and you are alowed, by regs, to do it. everyday and every job is different and you have to decide whats best at the time

Chaps,

Please try not to use caps when posting as this does come across as shouting, although i appreciate it is sometimes done in error.

Ta.

One double socket unfused off of each socket in 2.5. The maximum fuse for each outlet is 13A which is why it's allowed as the maximum that's going to be drawn is 26A and even that's never gonna happen with diversity and all that malarky!

There is another weapon in your armoury mate, and thats to run a radial back to the board in 2.5 on a 16-20 AMP Breaker, as many sockets as you like providing the floor area the circuit covers does not exceed 50 sq. Meters.
You will need all these "how toos " when your out on your own, and someone wants a few extra sockets etc.
Dont think anyone was shouting at you bud, just trying to get heard above all the other posts. The replies you have received show that there is more than one way of skinning a cat. You will find that the design of a building will often dictate how you do something, keep a note of the ways you can do it for the future.
My answer to your question would be that
1. 1 double socket only if a spur off a ring socket.
2. As many sockets as you like if fed from a 13 FCU.It will only allow 13 amps down it so its safe. consider design here though.
3. Radial as above on 16 -20 amp breaker.

Sir, Why the capital letters which insinuates shouting? I'm a 1st year training elec and i'm only asking a general question.
I'm only asking if its possible and is within the regs.
I'm not saying that in some cases breaking into the ring is easier, but in some installs running 1 radial socket from a ring may be easier.

If all simple questions are answered like this maybe i should find another forum for help and advise.

Thanks guys who have guided me.

Not shouting just left Caps lock on,,

Reply to Running Radial From Ring in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock