Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Running SWA underground in the Solar PV Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. synergy power

synergy power Guest

I'm running about 20m of 6mm SWA underground, does anyone have the regulations for doing this?

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    18" deep, surround with sand, warning tape at 12" deep, cable suitable considering load and volt drop, better in ducting if possible.

3. i=p/u

i=p/u Trusted Advisor

ansd attatch a drawing of cable route for future refrence is all i cvan add

4. yellowvanman

yellowvanman Electrician's Arms

Here we go again!

Regs doesn't specify a minimum depth except on farms, in caravan sites and marinas! Its a depth you think is suitable to prevent damage.

5. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    was thinking of worst scenario, without details of the exact circumstances. obviously, in certain situations, the depth can be less.

6. i=p/u

i=p/u Trusted Advisor

electricians guide to building regs say at least 500mm

7. synergy power

synergy power Guest

Cable route is under a footpath and garden, No heavy use going on above... I was just going to lay the cable about 10-15 inches deep and then lay electrical cable tape above?

8. i=p/u

i=p/u Trusted Advisor

at about 6 inches below surface for tape and your flying

9. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    N

under garden.how deep is a spade thrust? i would go with at least 15" with tape at 10" ( thereabouts.). make sure cable is bedded on sand with sand on top, at least 4" top and bottom. you don't want nasty sharp stones piercing the sheath, do you?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Guest112

Guest112 Guest

teles right definately use sand under and over the cable and the tape of course

11. needasparks

needasparks Electrician's Arms

Ask the sparks whos making it off would be best. If its underground is outside, if its a new supply also both need registering unless of course this is not from a domestic supply.

12. SPARTYKUS

SPARTYKUS Trusted Advisor

Not sure but i think "double digging" (two spades' depth) is an important consideration in gardens.

13. Earthstore

Earthstore Guest

Have you ever hit a cable that some lazy sod has not burried deep enough, because I have..
    It was in a garden, and I hit it with a fork, fortunatly I knew what I had hit, but someone else might not have been so lucky.
    Oh and the lazy sod was the MEB, and they wanted to charge me for the repair...
    It just so happened that my brother worked for the SEB, and he told me what I should do about it.
    It does not matter where it is, just bury the thing deep enough...

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2012
  14. johnboy6083

johnboy6083 Band Member Trusted Advisor

Dont forget to derate the cable too. 0.9 rings a bell, but check chapter 6 of the red OSG (don't know the green one yet)

15. supasparxs

supasparxs Electrician's Arms

Telectrixs has never been very good at measuring,
    you should see what he says 6" is!!

:)