Discuss Rusted Conduit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All

Say you have conduit already installed in a building but has partly rusted and corroded over the years.
Can it be reused on a rewire?

If there is any treatment that can be done to the conduit it would be great!

The conduit has not rusted through and is complete!

Running new conduit is NOT an option due to the level of cermet asbestos in this room!

ceiling is also asbestos boards so that cant be touched!

Removal of the asbestos is also not an option as the whole building would have to be knocked down!

Please only helpful comments

Last edited:
Hi All

Say you have conduit already installed in a building but has partly rusted and corroded over the years.
Can it be reused on a rewire?

If there is any treatment that can be done to the conduit it would be great!

The conduit has not rusted through and is complete!

Running new conduit is NOT an option due to the level of cermet asbestos in this room!

ceiling is also asbestos boards so that cant be touched!

Removal of the asbestos is also not an option as the whole building would have to be knocked down!

Please only helpful comments

Have you carried out continuity tests?

Well I always try and be helpful...........how bad is this conduit?

As in

• If you used it in a rewire would it damage the cable in the pull. You don't have to rely on the conduit as the CPC, you can pull in a seperate, but would you damage a cable by the pull
  • How bad is bad, is there holes in it? You could always red oxide it and then paint it if that was an option.

Well I always try and be helpful...........how bad is this conduit?

As in

• If you used it in a rewire would it damage the cable in the pull. You don't have to rely on the conduit as the CPC, you can pull in a seperate, but would you damage a cable by the pull
  • How bad is bad, is there holes in it? You could always red oxide it and then paint it if that was an option.

I have not done any testing on it yet, I have only visually looked at it.

this is another area that the client gave me to rewire ontop of the very large project that I already won. After he shown me the area he sent the asbestos report over and the whole of this building is built from asbestos.

there is no holes in it at all (that I could see), it does not look like there is any sharp edges at all, need to have a good look tomorrow though!

I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them up

Last edited:
Several things spring to mind.

How old is the report?
How will you know there isn't Asbestos within the conduit system?
If it's corroded how long can you guarantee it will remain intact?
Knowing it's corroded if you need to run separate CPC, is there room in the conduit?

Is it just for lighting, what about Catenary lighting?

One problem I can see is that the conduit is part of the electrical system and needs to be earthed, would you be able to ensure all the conduit was earthed? if you earth one point (or many points) there may be a disconnection partway along.
However installing new wiring should be possible if there is no requirement to disturb the asbestos.

Thanks for all your comments.

I am attending the site tomorrow with my collogue.

My first view was that it all needs to be replaced for the above reasons but this report then came along.

Im mainly looking for different options of how to complete this install without risking my health or those of my collogues or public.

I cant see any way around it at present as what ever I install will either need to connect to the walls (containing asbestos) or the ceiling (containing asbestos) or to the metal frame (wrapped in asbestos)

Its scary that buildings like this are still around and used to belong to the council upto only 3 years ago!

not really, but just found some very interesting information on the HSE website - Working safely with asbestos then click on the guidance sheets

Some great information about drilling the walls and metal work.
I know its not preferred but its a way around the problem and could be useful for someone else as well

I was just going to post this link but you beat me to it.
Provided you follow the guidelines there is no reason you cant work with low risk asbestos. A risk assessment is essential to check the risk level prior to starting work.

Reply to Rusted Conduit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock