Discuss Rwc 2015 in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Y

YoungScud

With the Rugby World Cup looming, I'm tempted to wonder which areas of the laws World Rugby will promise to emphasise this time. we're still awaiting the promised policing of the straight put in at scrums. I suspevt we may see some lip service paid to putting a stop to the no-arms hit at rucks, although I fully expect refs to ignore the directive. I suppose I'm just frustrated at the fcat that refs are told to manage games rather than simply apply the laws of the game. Any thoughts?

Putting the ball in straight into the scrum, I was watching NRL rugby league over the weekend in one of the scrums, the scrum half put the ball in sort off straight to the loose forward without it even entering the scrum. He might as well just passed it straight to the fly half and by passed the scrum.

At least it's not that blantent in union

Last edited:
League's been like that for a very long time. We have a guy at our club (union) who insists that RL is much more skilful and entertaining. Damned if I can see it. It's quick and that's about it as far as I can see. Get tackled, get up and get a free ball. After five tackles, put it in the air. There's no competition at all for the ball except when it's kicked. He also insists that scrums are just restart. Why other with scrums at all then? Why not just a tap and pass? Buying anything the guy says is hard. He's been at the club two seasons and yesterday was the first time I'd seen him attempt a tackle (although it was half-hearted and ultimately abortive). How he bluffs his way through RL is a puzzle to me.

Well things are looking interesting already. I watched the opening England vs Fiji and England certainly didn't get things going all their way in the first half, they looked skittish and nervous against a very committed Fiji. The latter part of the game saw England racking up some points due to what I thought was better fitness levels carrying them through. The game was lacking in rhythm mainly because of a lot of TMO involvement and I think England will need to step things up a notch, especially their backline for their coming games but a win including a bonus point is a good foundation to build on.

Well things are looking interesting already. I watched the opening England vs Fiji and England certainly didn't get things going all their way in the first half, they looked skittish and nervous against a very committed Fiji. The latter part of the game saw England racking up some points due to what I thought was better fitness levels carrying them through. The game was lacking in rhythm mainly because of a lot of TMO involvement and I think England will need to step things up a notch, especially their backline for their coming games but a win including a bonus point is a good foundation to build on.

No comment about the South Africa/Japan game then?

No comment about the South Africa/Japan game then?
Yeah, for some reason I found it a lot easier to write about the England game :(

As a Springbok supporter, the South Africa Japan game last night had me in tears. Someone had obviously forgotten to send Japan the memo telling them what a formidable side the Springboks are and that they should probably approach the game as a damage limitation exercise rather than seriously thinking they could win because for the full 80 minutes they obviously had no thoughts whatsoever about being the underdog. Even in the last minute of the game Japan turned down the safe option of kicking for posts and walking away with a draw and went for the all or bust option of attempting to run in a try.

Japan were inspired in every aspect of the game, their tackling oozed commitment as did their scrumming and mauling which was no mean feat considering the physical size and bulk differences between the teams. The Springboks on the other hand just looked flat, sluggish and bewildered and unable to dominate at any time during the entire game. Watching the Japanese rolling maul the Springboks backwards over their try line is a sight I'll never forget. The sheer pace and precision and depth that the Japanese played with was a pleasure to watch.

Obviously as a Springbok fan the game was an enormous disappointment but as a rugby sports fan I couldn't take anything away from Japan and it gave me that same sense of perverse satisfaction you get when you see one of those youtube clips where the geeky looking kid turns the tables on the schoolyard bully.

It wasn't a total loss for the Springboks, they managed to show enough momentary flair to walk away with 4 tries but I can only hope they do some soul searching before their next game against Samoa.

Last edited:
Yeah, for some reason I found it a lot easier to write about the England game :(

As a Springbok supporter, the South Africa Japan game last night had me in tears. Someone had obviously forgotten to send Japan the memo telling them what a formidable side the Springboks are and that they should probably approach the game as a damage limitation exercise rather than seriously thinking they could win because for the full 80 minutes they obviously had no thoughts whatsoever about being the underdog. Even in the last minute of the game Japan turned down the safe option of kicking for posts and walking away with a draw and went for the all or bust option of attempting to run in a try.

Japan were inspired in every aspect of the game, their tackling oozed commitment as did their scrumming and mauling which was no mean feat considering the physical size and bulk differences between the teams. The Springboks on the other hand just looked flat, sluggish and bewildered and unable to dominate at any time during the entire game. Watching the Japanese rolling maul the Springboks backwards over their try line is a sight I'll never forget. The sheer pace and precision and depth that the Japanese played with was a pleasure to watch.

Obviously as a Springbok fan the game was an enormous disappointment but as a rugby sports fan I couldn't take anything away from Japan and it gave me that same sense of perverse satisfaction you get when you see one of those youtube clips where the geeky looking kid turns the tables on the schoolyard bully.

It wasn't a total loss for the Springboks, they managed to show enough momentary flair to walk away with 4 tries but I can only hope they do some soul searching before their next game against Samoa.

Japanese didn't have much to lose at the end

1 point for being within a 7 point defeat
2 points for a draw
4 points and the scalp of one of the top rugby nations of the world, which they went for and achieved.

Reply to Rwc 2015 in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock