Discuss Saccardo Motor Fault! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

Hari Jones

hello,
so basically the motor on my saccardo cut off saw has just stopped.
how should i go ahead and diagnose such a motor?
i have had a little fiddle with it taking the motor off the cut off saw. Connected it to power, when i press the trip switch it has on it, it makes a noise but dose not turn?
please help as i'm using a grinder to cut everything.

Stick to playing your little fiddle without the appropriate test gear and results this cannot be answered over a forum... you say you have been using a grinder to cut everything now... surely this time consumed and reduction in productivity can be avoided by calling in an Electrician or engineer competent in the faulting the saw you have - its always best to do this straight away as you may have a delay before an Engineer can arrive adding to production costs and downtime.

Have you checked the brushes

Hopefully when he checks he will find there aren't any.... It's an induction motor. But he will find a capacitor, or quite probably an ex-capacitor.

Capacitor issue
Bearing gone/loose/worn locking rotor when powered .. play on the shaft can indicate this
overheated wiring or poor/lost termination
Upstream supply issue - may test ok with voltage but breakdown under load

The list is long and all can just have the motor humming without rotation although the bearing and the capacitor would be high on the list

There's a few visual and physical tests that can identify some problems but also the appropriate test gear needed to confirm and/or eliminate other suspected problems... Ive only listed the common ones I've repeatedly had over the yrs but Ive not listed the less common cause and suspect we be bouncing questions after question to the OP if he struggles to find anything..... hence my post -quicker to get someone in.

Hopefully when he checks he will find there aren't any.... It's an induction motor. But he will find a capacitor, or quite probably an ex-capacitor.

To be honest i never seen the link to the photo, i thought he was talking about an angle grinder

Just noticed this thread,and have to relate this cautionary tale...young joiner,has an old chop-saw,only operates when trigger switched,and blade "pushed" with a piece of batten,so,duff capacitor. He demotes it to chopping waste timber for the stove,and to that end,has the trigger zip-tied up for ease of production. Bloke next door hears cutting of an afternoon,dosent like last sound he heard,goes to check,lad has cut everything of thumb off to root. It has never ceased to amaze me over the years,how lads,some good friends and professionals,can disregard basic safety functions and let it become "normal practice" :willy_nilly: I am not even going to start telling you about the spark who fitted an LED light fitting in a stable that had two yearling steers "resting" in it,all well and good,creeping in and out,shutting the door quietly,then he fires up the mini grinder whilst up a ladder...a double fault situation he WONT be repeating :stooge_curly:

Reply to Saccardo Motor Fault! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock