Discuss safe isolation Am2 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pablo4321

Hi to do safe isolation on my am2, this monday coming would this be correct procedure, this is a individual circuit, supplying a motor via a rotary switch.Could anyone advise me if this is correct,thanks in advance

identify circuit.
lock off put key in pocket and display warning sign.
check voltage tester for damage
check on proving unit
turn rotary switch to on position
go to motor check for voltage between all phases earths neutrals etc
then check again on proving unit

1st step is to get permission to isolate.

Hi to do safe isolation on my am2, this monday coming would this be correct procedure, this is a individual circuit, supplying a motor via a rotary switch.Could anyone advise me if this is correct,thanks in advance

identify circuit.
check on proving unit
Seek permission to isolate
locate and identify equipment to be worked on
identify means of isolation
withdraw fuses.lock off isolating switches or circuit breakers
fit warning notices at point of isolation
select approved voltage indicating device
verify on proving unit or known supply
test all lines-line all lines- neutral all lines to earth and neutral to earth
if satisfactory re prove test indicator begin work

I find it helps to count the 10 steps when your testing the phases, at least you know if you've missed one out, tell the examiner and start again, no one wants to fail safe isolation but a lot do so I hear

identify circuit.
check on proving unit
Under exam conditions.....always state checking leads conforming to GS38

Safe isolation procedure is always the same regardless what you are doing it on.

i dont really do much three phase so not sure, you test the end of circuit so would i turn dol starter on or rotary switch on then test at motor or test at rotary switch or dol starter thanks

Rotary isolator will be you isolation point, or the circuit OCPD.

The tests are in no particular order

L1-N
L2-N
L3-N
L1-L2
L1-L3
L2-L3
L1-E
L2-E
L3-E
N-E

Dont forget to lock off and prove you tester BEFORE and AFTER you have carried the above tests.

will i test at switch or motor sorry for all the questions just want to be sure also is ocpd the mcb at board.

I imagine they will tell you what to isolate and also where to test. Isn't there a info booklet which you recurve before doing the AM2?

yes but doesnt say anything about it would i be right in thinking lock mcb for that circuit turn the rotary switch on and test the motor side just never done them before cheers

would you not turn the rotary switch on because if it was of and you locked wrong mcb off the power would only go to the switch and because it is turned of the power wouldnt be detected at motor

Reply to safe isolation Am2 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock