Discuss Safe isolation of supply's for trade test in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm currently a 4th year apprentice waiting to undertake his trade test this week. The part I am sitting is safe isolation and I was looking for some advice regarding the test. I have attached below the information I have been given. I was just wondering if somebody could confirm for me that local isolation will mean I have to lock off and isolate a circuit at the the isolator opposed to at the DB?

Safe Isolation of Supplies

Section D (30 minutes)
Skill activity

This section will test your ability to carry out an isolation safely on various circuits.

While under observation, you will be required to demonstrate how to safely isolate circuits or items of equipment to verify that they are safe to work on.

You must use the Safe Isolation for Dead Working Process (example below). The passmark for this section is 100%. However, in the event you fail to follow the correct procedure on one of the four circuits you will be given an automatic resit.

Process:

The examiner will ask you to isolate 4 items
1. Full Installation
2. Single Phase
3. Three Phase
4. Local Isolation

Hi all. I'm currently a 4th year apprentice waiting to undertake his trade test this week. The part I am sitting is safe isolation and I was looking for some advice regarding the test. I have attached below the information I have been given. I was just wondering if somebody could confirm for me that local isolation will mean I have to lock off and isolate a circuit at the the isolator opposed to at the DB? Can you come back with a reply to the question s I asked earlier, or have you got it sorted.

Safe Isolation of Supplies

Section D (30 minutes)
Skill activity

This section will test your ability to carry out an isolation safely on various circuits.

While under observation, you will be required to demonstrate how to safely isolate circuits or items of equipment to verify that they are safe to work on.

You must use the Safe Isolation for Dead Working Process (example below). The passmark for this section is 100%. However, in the event you fail to follow the correct procedure on one of the four circuits you will be given an automatic resit.

Process:

The examiner will ask you to isolate 4 items
1. Full Installation
2. Single Phase
3. Three Phase
4. Local Isolation
As I understand "Local Isolation, as an example would be Isolating machine, maybe with a Local Isolator" which would be where you will perform "Local Isolation" but as a Southener not sure if it means the same in Jockland. So the short answer will be isolation at the local isolator, Good luck, let the Forum know how you get on please.

Probably a rotary isolator. Turn it off and the holes will align to get your lock/hasp through.
After of course you have proved the supply to the Machine is "Dead" by using the correct method and equipment, and don't forget to fix the relevent warning notice,

After of course you have proved the supply to the Machine is "Dead" by using the correct method and equipment, and don't forget to fix the relevent warning notice,

Only for assessment. Also, get all relevant PTW’s, don all relevant and mandatory PPE, sign into the CDM area, read understand and sign onto the RAMS, go to work area, fill in dynamic risk assessment.

Method 2.

1. Watch motor running
2. Watch motor stop.
3. Cable tie the iso (locks in the van)
4. Get stuck in.

Last edited:
The IET Best Practice Guide Number 2 just Google "best Practice guide for safe Isolation" and I agree with Tel Don't give Matey the key to your lock, keep it in your pocket, you wil fail otherwise. Good luck again

Napit assessment - assessor said "ive seen your lockoff kit and ticked the box", apply common sense here no one will be going near the board whilst we are here. Dont need to use it.

Quite right!
230 Volts
230 amps

greenberg/iceberg...what's the difference?

Seriously, supply's live

supplies are live...
one is live,
all are live

you are dead!

Reply to Safe isolation of supply's for trade test in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net