Discuss Safety certs for a generator ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

JD6400

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
I have just been approached by a client who is a fencing contractor and is about to start on a contract for the national grid , they have asked for the usual pat certs but they have also asked for certs on his portable Genny's .
I can not really think of a cert that would cover this !
What do others think ?

Whilst it is a portable device, this appliance does not consume electricity! To me, portable appliances use an electric supply. The Code of Practice for In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment does not mention how to test them from my reading of it.

The earthing of it is interesting too, having looked at a couple of HSE sites, do others also think that every time a portable generator is used in the next place, should it be earthed?

There is no legal requirement to test portable generators, but they must be inspected by a competent person under the use of work equipment regs 1988.

There is no legal requirement to test portable generators, but they must be inspected by a competent person under the use of work equipment regs 1988.

Thanks.

So, for ISITEE, there is the Code of Practice detailing insulation checks and earth bonding.

Given that a generator supplies the power, should not some similar checks be made?

Therefor recorded too?

The checks are along the same lines of visual checks when pat testing and should be documented as such.
Also manufacturer maintenance instructions should always be followed as they instruct to check certain things after so many run hours and would also be advisable to document this.

separate earthing of portable generators isn't usually needed on site as they are placed in the open and the frame acts as the earth.

National Grid, being a Transporter of electricity will have high standards re use of electrical equipment whether appliance or generator.

The last headline they want to see is N-G contractor killed due to faulty electrical equipment.

I would have thought N-G would have supplied fairly specific requirements re certs, if not he should ask exactly what they want, he's a fencing contrator not a sparky.

Reply to Safety certs for a generator ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net