Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Sattelite signal finder in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. bigspark17

bigspark17 Electrician's Arms

just after advice on an affordable tester that i can plug directly into a satellite dish to set the dish up for good signal, and what do others use?

2. freddo

freddo Regular EF Member

I use a Satlook MKIV, brilliant unit able to do analogue and digital sats, has built in analogue and digital receivers so you can watch the received signal, full spectrum display which makes alignment dead easy. The little £10 inline meters are a waste of time.

Just as a note, I use a Horizon HDTM plus for terrestrial, FM and DAB, though this is an obsolete model now as does not cover the new HD stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  3. bigspark17

Do you simply plug this unit into the dish to align it for optimum signal? Yes i agree the inline cheap meters are crap!

4. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent You Rock Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

I use my mate who fits aerials and dishes :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ImpededLoop

ImpededLoop Electrician's Arms

Agreed! :)

6. freddo

freddo Regular EF Member

Yes, simply watch the spectrum for the correct 'shape' for the satellite you want, then adjust for greatest amplitude. Once you have done it once or twice it's easy to spot the correct satellite, then you can check it with the built in receiver. The unit powers the LNB via it's internal battery so no other power/connections are needed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. pirate

pirate Regular EF Member

A couple of years ago, in storms, we lost our dish signal on new year's eve...I asked Sky to attend, they said ok, 28th April...cos it's on your chimney so we need 2 man team and cherry-picker and that's the first date we've got...I said but that's weeks away, they said ok we'll refund you for weeks lost viewing...
    I called my local aerial man, and he arrived next morning...stuck a ladder up, ran up to the top, fixed the dish, and was in his van ready to drive away in 5 minutes...£35...

I never did cancel the Sky engineer...and he never appeared...clearly, cos they can monitor your setup, they saw it was fixed, and f**ked off.
    However, the aerial man gave me this...and despite what you might think, it has done a few realignment jobs very well... WP_20180312_22_33_10_Pro[1].jpg
    I have sorted my neighbours on either side twice each with this...
    and yes, before you ask, I have resorted to really cranking in the bolts now, so they don't move in a strong breeze!

8. static zap

static zap Regular EF Member

... Cheap ones find best signal -Wrong satellite ...
    ( at least they are responsive )
    ..... Much time wasted - but I'm a patient bod /(and tight)......

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. pirate

pirate Regular EF Member

Not a full professional bit of kit, far from it...but sometimes it's just the simplest tool you need to get the result...I'm not buying a hydraulic crimper to put the odd bit of 0.75 stranded into a ferrule for a choc=box connector!

• Like Like x 1
  10. gnuuser

gnuuser retired Industrial wire monkey DIY

most satellite recievers recommend you go to their website and enter your location. and they will give you the direction and elevation settings.
    the only time i ever had problems with it is when there were a lot of trees around the site.

• Like Like x 1
  11. suffolkspark

suffolkspark Electrician's Arms

theres an app I use where you can input your postcode and it shows you on a sat overlay where to point the dish wth tilt and elevation etc, I then use a cheapy meter and hey presto never had a problem yet

• Like Like x 1
  12. bigspark17

What is the app called?

13. suffolkspark

suffolkspark Electrician's Arms

Dishpointer.com

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1