Discuss Saying hi, and asking lighting question... in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum.

This is a bit different - I'm not an electrician, but I'm working on a lighting project that might be interesting to electricians, so thought I'd come here to find out if it is (and apologies if it's not).

I'll make a post in the lighting section to see if anyone has opinions on the project, which aims to simplify lighting maintenance in some situations.

Looking forward to learning from you all!

David

It looks like my post got deleted.

Does anyone know why that would be? I'm asking for feedback for a project that may be interesting & useful to electricians, so I think it's relevant.

I'm certainly not selling anything... as it doesn't exist yet :D

Are you able to tell us what your idea is? I'm also interested but it sounds like there's not much point trawling through all the different sections trying to find the details.

Sure - I think the mods removed my previous explanation and link to it from here. Would be good to know why it was deleted, or where it was moved to.

The basic concept is a lighting system that enables the maintenance location for light fittings to be in a separate location to the fittings themselves, making maintenance easier for hard to reach lights.

E.g. light fittings in soffits, LEDs & drivers indoors in a cupboard.

Another example would be lights above stairs, with LEDs & drivers in a nearby room / cupboard to allow easy access for maintenance.

It could also be used for normal ceiling lighting where the occupant is elderly or disabled, so unable to reach the ceiling to change bulbs, but wants to do it themselves rather than relying on external help.

The light fittings are also electricity free, so could be useful in hazardous areas.

The concept would use fibre optics to carry the light from the LEDs to the light fittings, but unlike most fibre optic lighting would be very easy to use (plug and play), with increased efficiency.

Any thoughts on places this might be useful would be appreciated.

I’m sure that you wouldn’t achieve the same lumen output with this idea. You’re in effect modulating the lumens from the LEDs but not demodulating again to get the same lumen output.
You’re in effect trying to produce a whole different lighting system in itself.
Interested and good luck BUT I’m out!

I’m sure that you wouldn’t achieve the same lumen output with this idea

Thanks for your thoughts, and wishes of good luck.

You're right that the idea wouldn't achieve the same lumen output as an LED only solution. I'm aiming for around 70% optical efficiency vs LED only, assuming a 3m fibre optic cable length plus a diffuser on the output. Around 5% of light is lost per metre through the fibre optic cable, so the shorter the better in terms of efficiency.

The efficiency loss is a trade off that may be worthwhile where maintenance access is a bigger problem than a small increase in energy consumption and capital cost. It's not suggested for general lighting when there's no specific access problem to solve.

You’re in effect trying to produce a whole different lighting system in itself.

It is a new kind of lighting system. It would still use LEDs and drivers, and add a fibre optic link between those serviceable components and the light fitting location. It would require light fittings that are designed to work with it.

take no heed of negative waves. you might be onto a winner here. ican see options with elderly /disabled persons.

It's an interesting idea, but I think maybe you're looking at the wrong applications - for an elderly or disabled person moving into a bungalow, stripping out all the ceiling lights and getting a whole new system will almost certainly prove more costly and disruptive than getting a handyman to change the LEDs once every few years, or just to use wall or floor lamps which are more accessible.

A better application might be something like swimming pools, where you can't get a scaffold tower directly underneath them, the poolside wouldn't take the weight of a cherry picker, even that it's an inconvenience for a maintenance man to get into the pool to change the underwater bulbs.
Or saunas and steam rooms, where heat and moisture are an issue, and 90 degrees C isn't a comfortable temperature to be working in.

you might be onto a winner here. ican see options with elderly /disabled persons

Thanks! For newbuilds / renovations for the elderly or disabled, it could be great to avoid relying on external help when a light needs changing.

A better application might be something like swimming pools

I can see your point regarding elderly / disabled - some may not be too bothered about getting someone in to replace lights, and the cost to retrofit would be high. Some may want to be as independent as possible, but maybe best as an option for newbuilds so no re-wiring is needed.

The swimming pool + spa application sounds good, with a multiple uses in the same place. Thanks for your input!

Reply to Saying hi, and asking lighting question... in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net