Discuss SCAM - Beware. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wade88

Morning guys,

I could be wrong here, but just recieved a phone call from a rather mysterious bloke claiming to work for the emergency services council asking if i would like to jopin up to a new scheme they are running to promote "honest traders" in efforts to stamp down on rogue traders.

However....as the conversation progressed and i was continuosly digging for information about this company and he was continuously avoiding my questions, he claimed i had been recommended by the Government as a good trader and was on their "good boy" list so to speak...as soon as i mentioned i was slef employed and was unable to see how te Government would have any information on at all (and this guy couldnt even confirm the name of my buisness) the phone line went dead and he had hung up in a flash.

He was asking for bank details and money etc to join this new scheme of theirs whereby you will feature in a magazine they publish to your local area as an honest reliable tradesman...great idea. But rly dont tihnk this was a genuine set up.

Just thought id put this out there.

Ben

Morning guys,

I could be wrong here, but just recieved a phone call from a rather mysterious bloke claiming to work for the emergency services council asking if i would like to jopin up to a new scheme they are running to promote "honest traders" in efforts to stamp down on rogue traders.

However....as the conversation progressed and i was continuosly digging for information about this company and he was continuously avoiding my questions, he claimed i had been recommended by the Government as a good trader and was on their "good boy" list so to speak...as soon as i mentioned i was slef employed and was unable to see how te Government would have any information on at all (and this guy couldnt even confirm the name of my buisness) the phone line went dead and he had hung up in a flash.

He was asking for bank details and money etc to join this new scheme of theirs whereby you will feature in a magazine they publish to your local area as an honest reliable tradesman...great idea. But rly dont tihnk this was a genuine set up.

Just thought id put this out there.

Ben

another one is the emergency services eithe police, fire or ambulance, youll have loads of reader blah blah i got an invoice from a third person company (not poice/fire/ambulace)when i said i might be interesed just tell em no and hang up

happens all the time, especially when the website is just set up, people from the police, ask them their police number and they say they are not part of the police? wait a minute you just claimed you were from the police?

charities, ambulance service, fire station, i.e.

My opinion, do not buy unless you ring them, do not buy when they ring you 90% of the time it is a scam.

if you really do want to buy as it sounds genuine, firstly get a phone number from them and ring them back. secondly have a meeting with them to discuss, most of them will hang up after you ask for a meeting as they are claiming to be in your area when they are not,

shame as it ruins genuine businesses that want to promote their business, but i think telesales has all but gone, these days i would never buy on the phone.

Yea i said to the guy, who had a strong liverpudlian accent, exactly what area are you suggesting im in...and he gave a broad selection of postcodes for about a 100 mile radius. Numpty. Got to love the irony tho, people trying to make money off the back of rogue traders. Its a scam from a scam

Yea i said to the guy, who had a strong liverpudlian accent, exactly what area are you suggesting im in...and he gave a broad selection of postcodes for about a 100 mile radius. Numpty. Got to love the irony tho, people trying to make money off the back of rogue traders. Its a scam from a scam

haha yea they operate from the wirral

I have had these calls, from the so-called 'police', they say they are are sending out 40k booklets nationally, they sent me a mock up ad, what a load of crap it was when I got it.

SCAM.

Got the call too, I said I might be interested so send me the details, next thing an email arrives with invoice for ÂŁ295+vat and a 1/4 page advert that I must say yes to, which thye have designed by going onto my website and taking the essentials down!!

Then this morning a letter is on the doormat with all the spiel saying pay now and get 10% off!!

Thanks, but no thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
When they ask for your bank details just give them your 'wife's', Frances Osbourne, Bank of England, Threadneedle Street, London, Sort Code 12-17-25, Acc No 27486330, Current balance ÂŁ2,252.1 billion DR

images-220.jpg

"Hello I'm calling from 'givemeyourmoneysoicangetmycommision.com' where we can give you a great deal on advertising your business in your local area".

ME:- "not interested mate"

images-106.jpg

"All we need is your bank details, credit card number or transfer money to my account in Uganda".

ME:- still not interested, do one you rounded door handle.

images-154.jpg

"Ok, do you want to buy dvd? 6 for ten pounds?

ME:- Hang up.

although calling someone a rounded handle has to be the softest insult i have ever heard. thats like calling someone a flat dinner tray, or a flappy flip flop

there's also forresters fund for children, hype up how good it is to advertise in their mag. ÂŁ200 + vat, and nobody's ever seen the mag.

There was another one trying to sell sponsorship of a Drugs awareness scheme/booklet that used to bug me every few month, but I put my mobile number on the TPS scheme and most of these calls have stopped.

PayPal scam

Just come across this. A new money laundering scam. Well, new to me anyway!

The scammer pays money into your paypal account without sending a message, ensuring you don't know it’s there. Then some months later, he emails you to tell you he's paid money into your account 'by accident' whilst trying to pay someone else.

This immediately raises suspicions because surely only an African from Burkina el Faso would struggle with that.

You check, and sure enough, there is a payment from a Nigerian bloke posing as a lawyer or some other professional. Being a nice person, you refund them, and hey presto, Mr Ali Zongo has had his evil proceeds from his diamond mine, drug dealing, lawyer bills 'washed clean' and untraceable.

So a word of warning, don’t answer emails from seemingly retarded Africans claiming to be Lawyers!

PayPal scam

Just come across this. A new money laundering scam. Well, new to me anyway!

The scammer pays money into your paypal account without sending a message, ensuring you don't know it’s there. Then some months later, he emails you to tell you he's paid money into your account 'by accident' whilst trying to pay someone else.

This immediately raises suspicions because surely only an African from Burkina el Faso would struggle with that.

You check, and sure enough, there is a payment from a Nigerian bloke posing as a lawyer or some other professional. Being a nice person, you refund them, and hey presto, Mr Ali Zongo has had his evil proceeds from his diamond mine, drug dealing, lawyer bills 'washed clean' and untraceable.

So a word of warning, don’t answer emails from seemingly retarded Africans claiming to be Lawyers!

or you could just withdraw it,and say thanks alot..if its dodgy he cant go to the polis..

had the call today from the police doing the magazine thing again, i am a trusted trades man apparently so i can be in their dirty mag,
but i am a rougue trader i told him , so i dont think i can go in your mag , he hung up ha ha

Reply to SCAM - Beware. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net