Discuss Scam emails in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MBElectrical

Hi Guys and Gals :21:,

I'm not a regular on this forum but an email dropped into my inbox this morning from a person purporting to be a Mr "John Smith". OK the name failed the first hurdle as did the rest of his email as below:
Hello

My name is John Smith and I am eager to order some few Wylex
breakers from you.
Is it possible for you to get me any of the following items:

PSB340-B Wylex MCB TP Type B 40A 10kA Qty 1

WY NHXSBS40C 40 Amp 30mA RCBO SP C Type - Wylex Qty 1

78842 Wylex 17th Edition High Integrity Dual RCD Consumer Unit 10 Way & 10 MCB's Qty 3

72614 Wylex 10W Dual RCD Board Qty 2

Wylex NHTN20MR 125A 20Way TP&N Type B Distribution Board. Qty 3

Wylex NHTN24MR 125A 24Way TP&N Type B Distribution Board. Qty 2

I hope to hear hear from you and also get me some prices soon.Do you Take Credit Card as form of payment?

Regards
Mr Smith

Note the poor English, "some few Wylex" :6:, and the catalogue references which turn out to be toolstation.net. I checked Google and apparently he is very active in America and apparently although he uses an English type name he requires delivery to Ghanaian address. So be careful if the promise of a quick buck is too good to be true then it probably is!

Cheers,

:54:Martin

As long as he pays you in full including any shipping charge before you buy the kit I can't see a problem mate. That would be the only way I'd deal with him but then again, I don't open any email that I'm not absolutely sure of so you're braver than me:)

As long as he pays you in full including any shipping charge before you buy the kit I can't see a problem mate. That would be the only way I'd deal with him but then again, I don't open any email that I'm not absolutely sure of so you're braver than me:)

Subtle way off getting his bank details more like

I agree it's most likely a scam attempt but there's ways around that, he could open an account at another bank just for this transaction thus protecting himself. Or paypal if it operates in Ghana

From [email protected] - 07/09/2012 17:23:01

Hello My name is John Smith and I am eager to order some few Wylex breakers from you. Is it possible for you to get me Any of the following items: PSB350-B Wylex MCB TP Type B 50A 10kA PSB340-B Wylex MCB TP Type B 40A 10kA WY NHXSBS40C 40 Amp 30mA RCBO SP C Type - Wylex 78842 Wylex 17th Edition High Integrity Dual RCD Consumer Unit 10 Way & 10 MCB's 72614 Wylex 10W Dual RCD Board Wylex NHTN20MR 125A 20Way TP&N Type B Distribution Board. Wylex NHTN24MR 125A 24Way TP&N Type B Distribution Board. I hope to hear hear from you and also get me some prices soon.Do you Take Credit Card as form of payment? Regards Mr Smith

I think tomorrow Mr John Walker Smith might get an email off me just for a giggle to see what happens.

I thought someone may find it amusing :) lol I personally can't be bothered to give them the time of day but then I'm not as imaginative as some members on here :thumbsup

Credit Card payments are cause for concern.

I'd guess it will be a charge back scam, which are becoming more popular and difficult to avoid.

There is also a lot of scam phone calls at the moment

Trying to take control of your computer seems to be the popular one because it is running slow or you have an internet problem. A mate of mine had one of these calls and got a torrent of abuse when he refused to comply with their requests to log in to what seems to be some sort of VPN

Annoys me when you get phone calls asking you to confirm security details so they can continue the call and when you ask them to confirm who they are they suggest looking at their website as they can't reveal any details due to data protection my response is you have created a stalemate so we may as well end the call

Reply to Scam emails in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net