Discuss Scheme Registration in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

One_of_them

Guys,

When registering with a scheme (new to me as Im in maintenance) how do you get round certain things like:

3 phase board and unable to turn off, are you OK just taking the cover off???
Getting Ze when unable to isolate anything so therefore unable to remove main earth???

Im sure there will be more but these are my current thoughts

thanks

What you have to remember is that the part p scam schemes ONLY APPLY TO DOMESTIC DWELLINGS. When was the last time you found a standard domestic 3 bed with a 3ph board?????

And it's effectively up to you to choose what examples you show to the inspector, so if you've got a range of choices then pick the easy ones!!

was thinking more of the NIC AC scheme. Places I work in are areas where it is very rare anything can be turned off hence the situation :)

What you have to remember is that the part p scam schemes ONLY APPLY TO DOMESTIC DWELLINGS. When was the last time you found a standard domestic 3 bed with a 3ph board?????

And it's effectively up to you to choose what examples you show to the inspector, so if you've got a range of choices then pick the easy ones!!

You'll be surprised, there are actually quite a few about!!
My old detached house in the UK (Essex) built around 1938, had a 3 phase overhead supply into the house. So did several of my neighbours, that had older built houses....

A bad example i know, but my 3 bedroom house in Cyprus is on a 3 phase supply.
I also have 3 X 3 phase CU's, which is one of the reasons why i pipe-up about having these numpty separate CU's in a standard sized house...lol!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2 bed apartment in Cyprus has a 3phase c/u in oh just remembered im there for 3 weeks next week ohhhh

Oh dear, i was talking to my neighbour over there yesterday, say's the weather in Cyprus is crap at the moment!!! ''COLD'', Wet Thunderstorms, and Gail force wind's!! I hope it improves for you before you go, ...or at least while your there. Where's your apartment located on the Island??

was thinking more of the NIC AC scheme. Places I work in are areas where it is very rare anything can be turned off hence the situation :)

The work that i have showed my NIC Area Engineer that are, like you say, unable to properly isolate, he was a sparks once too and is pretty understanding, when its in a commercial environment.

Its been more of a visual inspection and ZS tests etc, but in a domestic situation it would be the full works, safe isolation etc!

safe isolation before you remove the consumer unit lid etc etc, what a load of bull! in the real world its just not an option to just isolate a whole system especially outside the domestic world

The work that i have showed my NIC Area Engineer that are, like you say, unable to properly isolate, he was a sparks once too and is pretty understanding, when its in a commercial environment.

Its been more of a visual inspection and ZS tests etc, but in a domestic situation it would be the full works, safe isolation etc!

safe isolation before you remove the consumer unit lid etc etc, what a load of bull! in the real world its just not an option to just isolate a whole system especially outside the domestic world

Excellent mate thanks for that. Yeah as you say its practically impossible to isolate. Am I right in assuming that as long as you explain what you would do in ideal situation but cant cause of bla bla is OK?

Excellent mate thanks for that. Yeah as you say its practically impossible to isolate. Am I right in assuming that as long as you explain what you would do in ideal situation but cant cause of bla bla is OK?

I think the assessors will just get a feeling of whether your up to the job or not by what they see and hear mostly, just be safe.

I really dont think an assessor would ever get you to fully isolate a board
where it would cause inconvenience for the owners, he would always ask them first or prompt you to ask them, so go from there, if he wants to see you practice safe isolation and dead testing he will probably go to a house etc.

Reply to Scheme Registration in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock