Discuss School sockets in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've just been in a school to look at some more work and they have approx 15 boards.

to my amazement probably 12 out of 15 of them were old 3036 boards, and the majority of docket outlets throughout the school are not even RCD protected let alone on a modern MCB.

nothing at all was labelled accessory wise, so anyone's guess where everything goes back to, lovely isn't it when you have things that need to be done.

That's pretty normal for a school.
The one I do Maintainence for has still got some TRS wiring in places.
There wasn't any need to put the sockets on an RCD until this year when amendment 3 came in.

I dont really know where to start, there's about 8 outside wall lights that appear to have all packed up over time, haven't got a clue where the power comes from for each of them, it's going to be a day of head scratching over Christmas!

It'll be the same as any other job, find the unlabelled sfcu or fcu somewhere in the vicinity of the light and which nobody knows what it does. The other option being next to the DB.
Chances are that a few of them will just be turning it back on as someone turned it off because they didn't know what it did.
The remote photocell nobody knows about is also a favourite along with 'oh, I did wonder what that time switch was for'

Thanks for the heads up on the photocell, I need to look st it all in day light to be able to look properly.

I I don't see it being a common problem as the lights are across a number of buildings so it's not likely I wouldn't have thought.

one of them, it's goes out a light switch u mp the wall in what appears to to be FP200 or similar and in to the light, and it simply doesn't work.

i suspect they are all knackered and gradually all stopped working and now none of them work someone has realised it's quite dark outside.

im going in over Christmas to check out each light one at a time and see if there is power and where it's coming from.

Sone of them do appear to have digital timers on them.

Reply to School sockets in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net