Discuss Scotland's minimum pricing for alcohol in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
After the nationwide sugar tax attacks my taste for full fat coke in a red can, the SNP have gone one better and finally brought in their diabolical minimum price for alcohol.
I don't know the details, because i'm not really interested, but I think its 50p per unit of alcohol.
Reading off some news website, that's 27% increase on the price of a 70cl bottle of spirits, and a 150% increase on the cheap blow-your-head-off cider.
I live only 4 miles from the English border, so we already buy from an English supermarket.

I will now be calling the weekly shop the Booze Cruise.

Would our Glasgow based forum members like to put in an order?

I was waiting for someone to start a thread today on this haha. Basically your all ---- heads so you need to be taxed lol, thinking about it though 50 pence a unit may be cheaper for some continental lagers than now, I bet they don't drop the price.

going by the published guidelines. my real ale is 2.5 units per 500ml bottle and costs £1.25 at aldi/lidl. so using a bit of schoolboy maths, that's 50p/unit, so what's the problem? is it just another ploy by the virgin sturgeon?

It's a poorly thought out knee-jerk reaction which I don't believe will have the desired effect.
On the radio earlier they were in a park where half a bottle of Frosty Jack had been left behind - under the new pricing structure whoever had drunk the other half would have felt compelled to finish it off since they'd paid so much for it, so the problem would be exacerbated. It was a similar effect when the do-gooders decided bars and nightclubs shouldn't offer cheap drinks, so the kids started 'pre-loading' behind closed doors and getting smashed before they even got into town.

Who decided that getting trolleyed off Frosty Jack or Special Brew was so much worse for you than getting trolleyed off Pinot Grigio or Peroni? Is Lambrini really so different to Prosecco?

The fact is there are just as many if not more middle class alcoholics as street drinkers, so introducing a minimum price will make no difference at all to some of the people most at risk.

Its targeted at the cheap priced - high alcohol content that gets the neds so p*ssed.
Regular lagers, ales and whatever will be largely unaffected.
My booze cruise statement is a little misleading as i'm not a heavy drinker, and I've not bought a 3l bottle of cider since 1996.

I couldn't agree more with this sort of action, but just hope that such extra levys on alcohol go directly to programmes to help those with alcohol dependency issues.

A couple of years ago I became aware of a friend of a friend who had a drink problem. The cheap price of cider made it his nightly tipple, cheap enough to get through 6-9 litres most nights. He was eventually hospitalised due to his condition but is now doing well. 18 months completely dry I believe.

There was a time when you could only buy the demon drink form pubs and off licences.

Nor ids avaialabible form aniwed, yud gi intu a lucul supermarket and thed lishings od id on th shelds. I conpultedy agree width Sturgeon, it had gut to stop, oderwise I will be dead within 10 yurds. Thinking about it, I'm gonna be dead within 20 years.

So what the hell. Party time :D

This is serious stuff for the sweaty socks Buzz, they have the alcoholic capital of the EU in thier country so putting the prices up is bad news for them?

just a bloody nother stupid nanny state reaction to binge drinkers. remember the grinning idiot blair banning t=bone steaks to stop us all getting mad cow?

just a bloody nother stupid nanny state reaction to binge drinkers. remember the grinning idiot blair banning t=bone steaks to stop us all getting mad cow?
No

I am suprised Jimmy Cranky has done this to her fellow Sweaty Socks to be honest, obviously she doesn't like a tipple?

Any room for us to come down to England. Cheap drink and it’s 24 hours.
Oh no you have part p tho...
there are already 6 million of you down here and all of them are slating us constantly, no we do not want another lol

Reply to Scotland's minimum pricing for alcohol in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock