Discuss Scutch! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rocker

I got a scutch hammer today, and it's top! Never used a scutch thing before and I am well impressed, chopped out some chases in no time. Been doing it the way my dad showed me up until now...

Are scutch chisels better again to use? And although I reckon I'm getting enough out of it, is there an 'art' to using a scutch hammer or chisel??

Nice one.

I have a couple of scutch chisels top stuff and well worth the money. i have never tried the hammers. just been looking at the sds attachment for them might be investing in one

here here. They were invented by stone masons and they are brilliant for hand work. You can do precise work with them as well, cutting out back boxes in brick and plaster is easy and accurate as long as you remember to point all force inwards to the bit you want to cut out.
Dont think I would like to mix the powers of the scutch with that of an SDS, blimey, could lift the M1 with that combintion ! can you let meknow how you get on?

You're damn right there, chopped out some lovely boxes, and once I'd got my eye in took a bit of time over my last two boxes and got them snug as a bug in a rug. Whacked a nail in (I earth backboxes) but there was no need to, once they were plastered there'd be no shifting them. Also chopped out little notches for the grommets. This is with a blinking hammer by the way, not a chisel in sight! The thing looks like I could go rock climbing with it. It's great cos I can put the 'claw' on one end and the flat blade on the other, easy switch, see..

Sorry I'm creaming so much over this tool but I really think it's revolutionary.

Blummin Wickes of all places.

(All right all right I was only in there for a bit of their wildly expensive mini trunking [wildly expensive] and had a bit of a look around. I thik it was 10.51 or something dumb like that. They do replacement blades as well, but they are definitely cheaper online.)

You're damn right there, chopped out some lovely boxes, and once I'd got my eye in took a bit of time over my last two boxes and got them snug as a bug in a rug. Whacked a nail in (I earth backboxes) but there was no need to, once they were plastered there'd be no shifting them. Also chopped out little notches for the grommets. This is with a blinking hammer by the way, not a chisel in sight! The thing looks like I could go rock climbing with it. It's great cos I can put the 'claw' on one end and the flat blade on the other, easy switch, see..

Sorry I'm creaming so much over this tool but I really think it's revolutionary.

It is revolutionary!! my old sweat gave me one, the story was that he was working amongst some stone maons (he been a sparky for 50 years plus) they watched hm cut a channel with a hammer and bolster. One of them jumped on the next channel, cut the box and channel in a few minutes. Then handed the scutch to him. Its with a range of similar scutches that the stonemasons carve out those fabulous stone statutes etc.
It seems to me that this wonder tool has only recently been noticed and adapted by our industry. Those of us that have been introduced to it have certainly passed the word, well the tool did that itself. Got two chisels plenty of combs, BUT WHAT DOES A SCUTCH HAMMER LOOK LIKE !!! Am off to wicks !!

was under a shelf today trying to cut in a dsso with a scutch and hammer. Need two hands for this whilst laid flat out on the floor. Sounds like with a hammer I may be able to do one handed, and use the other one to hold myself up with !.

Right I been all the way down the freezing garage in me jammies for this. It looks proper, don't it....

Attachments

• scutch.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 141

Reply to Scutch! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net