Discuss SDS drill bits in normal chuck? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DomB

Hi all,

Has anyone tried using SDS drill bits in a normal hand-tightening chuck? I need to get a 20mm masonry-bit but don't want to invest in an SDS drill right now..

Thanks!

i do it all the time in soft brick with a 5.5mm sds bit. sometimes it takes a few attempts to get in the chuck so it spins concentrically, but it works. what areyou tryinmg to drill thorugh? if your not doing site work, you can get 230v sds drills really cheap.

it's a no go there mate. you can get away with occasionally using a small sds in a normal chuck, but 20mm, no way . buy a cheap SDS 240v or 110v. i.ve got a good AEG 110v sds for sale cheap. only reason i.m selling is it,s not got rotary stop for chiselling.

Ta. I'm hoping to drill through an external house wall. I've got a cordless 18v Bosch which handles the 16mm bit fine, but the chuck isn't big enough for any bigger drill-bits, even when the shank of the bit is smaller.

This is about the only SDS type work I'll be doing so loath to buy a drill (and it always kills me to buy cheap so I'd end up spending good cash!).

When you drill a whole through bricks walls do you drill the brick or the mortar? I noticed my old gaffer doing brick when using rawl plugs etc but seemed to go in the mortar when going all the way through..

Thanks for the responses btw

id do the same as your gaffer, as it stops the brick blowing out, and making a mess of the brick on the outside of the house. on commercial buildings, or concrete, id drill from the inside out, as often they dont care about the outside, in my experience

go through the mortar if you can. not always possible when drilling from inside. problem there is exploding the brick when you break through. can you not borrow a sds drill for an hour?

Ah, I just looked - less than 100 for a Bosch SDS - maybe that's the go then

Tanks
shopp around. b&q have offers on sometimes, and if you have a friend/relative over 60, it's 10% off on wednesdays.

Whenever I put an SDS bit in a normal drill it wobbles all over the bloody place.... you have to mess about making sure the SDS grooves dont go in one of the three grip points of the chuck, it's a right pain in the rear and you'd really notice it on a 450mm long bit.

To be fair the hammer-combi drilled a 16mm hole through brick no prob. But point taken, guess it's time for an SDS and an impact driver instead.

Thanks all

I got to a job a few years ago and realised that I'd forgotten my sds. quick trip to a popular diy orange place, bought a drill, did the job then took it back saying I didn't want it any more. "No problem sir, here's your £39.95 back". I didn't dream up their returns policy!

Reply to SDS drill bits in normal chuck? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net