Discuss SDS Drill Recommendations in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

markrutter

I'm a recently qualified domestic sparky (currently seeking work as an electrician's mate in Leeds / West Yorks in hope of building up my experience - please send me a private message if this is of interest) and I need to purchase my first SDS hammer drill as soon as possible. I was not thinking of going cordless as I need it to be powerful and versatile plus don't want to be buying 2 or 3 sets of batteries.

I'd greatly appreciate any and all views on what products I should and should not be looking at and hope that you'll be good enough to share some of your collective experiences.

Cheers,
Mark

Hi mark and welcome

It all depends on budget available to you, cordless sds are a lot more expensive than corded, if money was not a deciding factor and you only want to buy one and not have to replace it then I would say a Hilti, however these are about 6-700 depending on model, for a more budget conscious one then the Bosch 36 v start at about 350 for a mains voltage you can't go wrong with the makita at just over a ton l, just avoid the cordless 24v by makita as the batteries are well pony!! Any other tool by makita is brilliant just that isn't

My personal preference for corded SDS would be the HITACHI DH24PC3. It’s got a fascinating 3.2 J of power and it is still ahead compare to the others. You can buy it on Ebay for |£97. For a cordless SDS I would go for a DEWALT DC213N. It has got 2.1 J of power and it’s the most compact drill out of all cordless 18 volts. I recently have burnt a Makita BHR202Z (Rotor) after 3 years of heavy use. It might sound strange but my 5 years old Dewalt SDS is still standing.

ill second the hitachi. it makes mincemeat of walls, and its chisel is brill. its light too, and cheap. for cordless ive got an old dewalt i bought 2nd hand, and its still going strong.

Well I recently replaced my old Dewalt with the Bosch GBH-DRE, couldn't stretch to a Hilti, think it's pretty much the same as Amps one but without the removable chuck.
It's definately got more beans than my old dewalt, the trigger seems alot more sensitive as well which i'm not sure is a good thing yet, seems harder to do a slow chisel, only done a handfull of chases so far though, still getting used to it. Good long lead, carry case, powerfull, happy so far but only had it a week or so. Here's the cheapest I found it.
Bosch GBH2-26DRE SDS-Plus Hammer Drill 2kg 800w motor 26mm Chuck | Bosch SDS-Plus Hammer Drills | Hammer Drills

Bosh does 4400 blows per minute and Hitachi does 4600 blows per minute. The Bosh is 3 J of power and Hitachi – 3.2 J.
There is an extra 200 blows per minute and on top they are more powerful – 3.2J.
I’m not saying that Bosh is crap but just sorting out the arithmetic’s between power, efficiency and value for money.

Most manufacturers claims are always out by a mile. Though I would say the germans tend to understate the true potential of their products so they can guarantee their standard advertised claims. Most likely it will be more or less the same as the Hitch. Personal choice Bosch better plastics and gears and would need sunglasses to use the Hitch ;)

I’ve got this theory that power tool manufacturers are successful at some models and crap at another. For example the above Hitachi model is a legend. The rest of the range in my opinion should be avoided.
So if I want a corded jigsaw I will definitely go for Bosh. If I need a battery powered angle grinder I will avoid Dewalt. Totally useless compared to Bosh or Makita.:)

I don't really mix and match with manufacturers don't like getting caught out with a pup :D Bosch, Protool and Hilti are pretty good in every field maybe their weakest tools are the wood working ones but as i'm no wood butcher thats not a problem :D

Got a Bosch at the beginning of the summer (when was that?!!) light powerful 3 year guarantee and if it does go wrong which I doubt it they should have it fixed within 5 days.

Yes had all the spiel from them the other day at a trade show. But went in for Makita, Bosch hit me with pushy hard sales tactics and went home with Makita. Been thinking maybe should have been pushed but there we go eh! either way a good piece of kit.

Blue Bosch all the way for me (except their angle grinder which was carp) also they're owned my a charitable foundation so nice to know you're giving something back

Thanks for your thoughts chaps. Very much appreciated. I think I'm leaning towards the Hitachi (best price <£100 and technical specs slightly better than the Bosch equivalents). Plus two of you vouched for it in quick succession. Anyone know what the difference between the Bosch GBH226DRE and GBH226DFR is (other than price)?

Thanks for your thoughts chaps. Very much appreciated. I think I'm leaning towards the Hitachi (best price <£100 and technical specs slightly better than the Bosch equivalents). Plus two of you vouched for it in quick succession. Anyone know what the difference between the Bosch GBH226DRE and GBH226DFR is (other than price)?

The dearer one has a quick release chuck enabling you to change to a standard keyless chuck and SDS.

Reply to SDS Drill Recommendations in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net