Discuss SDS thoughts? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hightower

looking for an sds to core drill since mine hasn't got a clutch and I've read that can lead to broken wrists etc. Can anyone spot the difference between these two?

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/titan-ttb631sds-5kg-sds-plus-hammer-drill-240v/4172g

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/titan-ttb278sds-5kg-sds-plus-hammer-drill-230-240v/97533

Hi - I've got an ancestor of one of these, the 279. It has been OK and had some hard use. I only get it out when it's serious as it is heavy. Mine is single speed variable with a clutch (I think ...). With 1500W input power it will have enough torque to hurt if you're using it in a cramped spot and it jammed, so I'd go for the clutch model. Like anything though, it is cheap so it won't be as good as ones 2,3,4 times the price. Hope that helps.

I have a Bosch. I have had it for years and years . Only had brushes
I let it do the work, I clean it after every expedition ;) , and I never lend it to anyone .
It depends on how much work you think you have for it though , if it is going to sit in it's case, then a cheaper one will do.
It is horses for courses really. I would sick to my Dad's golden rule, "buy the best you can afford."

Why not buy a proper core drill? We have one made by Sparky that I think was about £150. It has taken some serious abuse and still going strong.

be careful selecting a drill for core use if it isn't a core-specific model, my old dewalt mini-breaker style SDS is okay with a core but my newer more powerfull AEG the clutch cuts in too soon and makes it no good for core drilling.

I guess thats the difference core drills have from seemingly identical non-core models is a clutch that allows a higher levels of torque before cutting in.

A standard pro Bosch drill will get you to 100mm max core drilling ' but been asked to install Extractors occasionally with 150 mm core so my last Core Drill set us back £ 350 + Cutter say £110 whatever . Would say though that the Monster drill ----es on all else and no more wrist snap so well worth the price when you can

looking for an sds to core drill since mine hasn't got a clutch and I've read that can lead to broken wrists etc. Can anyone spot the difference between these two?

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/titan-ttb278sds-5kg-sds-plus-hammer-drill-230-240v/97533

That reminds me I have to take mine back to screwfix. I used it with the tct core cutter and it's stuck fast in the chuck.

I have a Bosch. I have had it for years and years . Only had brushes
I let it do the work............... I would sick to my Dad's golden rule, "buy the best you can afford."

Let it do the the work, damn right! I've seen so many people forcing a hammer drill when all you need to do is gently guide it with one hand.
Hilti for me.

Slightly cheaper end of the market are this lot;
http://www.NoLinkingToThis/c/tools/drills/cat830704#category=cat830820

If it's for the odd 100mm hole for extract fans etc, the above would be ok. If your doing them every day, I'd go for the Hilti.

PS My Dewalt SDS drill still hasn't recovered from the last core hole I drilled!

Reply to SDS thoughts? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net