Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Sealing Junction Boxes with Silicone ! in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Spike1947

Spike1947 EF Member

Hi

I have a couple of 30A JB in a garage that I have had to replace because some crappy ones from Screwfix were fitted awile back and they were showing some signs of corrosion products on the Terminals (coated steel) should be banned !!!! .
    Ive changed them out , now I am wanting to seal them like filling them up with some silicone sealant , would that be ok or is there some special filler / sealant I have to use ! .

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

No need for sealemt if the jb is inside.....

3. Zdb

Zdb Regular EF Member

An alternative to sealant would be an IP65 junction box with stuffing glands on the cable entry. They do them for flat cable (T&E) now. Screwfix sell these items.

As Murdoch said, you shouldn't really have a problem if it's inside?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    As said above unnecessary in an internal junction box, but if you did want to seal electrical connections in an enclosure then magic gel is the material often used, designed for the purpose, but costly; you can also use electrical insulation conformable putty.

5. Spike1947

Spike1947 EF Member

Thanks for your reply , as my first post said there was some signs of corrosion products on the screw part , so even in a garage there is some dampness in the air to do that , I just wanted to know if it would be ok to fill the JB with silicone sealant ie will it have any electrical properties to it to maybe trip a RCD or not !

6. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

Don't use silicon sealant.
    There is a silicon gel that can be purchased, for use mostly outside. Fill the JB completely with the gel, much easier to remove when necessary.
    You can also purchase a silicon spray grease. Spray the terminal blocks until completely covered.

7. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

If the screws in the jb are caroding what about other things in the garage.... You need to sort the leak and or ventilation imho

8. Sooby2

Sooby2 Active EF Member

I had similar problems and fitted a humidity controlled fan. It does an excellent job of keeping the garage dry.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pat H

Pat H Don't ask, get an Electrician in.

Business Name:
    Sparks of Intelligence
    Maybe just seal the entry holes to they JB and a thin smear round the cover edge. So not in direct contact with connections just keeping it dry inside.

10. Des 56

Des 56 Trusted Advisor