Discuss Searching for materials?? Problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good evening

Looking for feedback,

Appreciate any feedback you have.

I've been in the electrical game for 20 years plus and one of my biggest hates is searching for materials and prices.

I'm currently working on some software that could make it quicker to find what your looking for by bringing everyone under one roof, sparks and suppliers,

Sparks upload there material lists or parts needed. And suppliers can contact them directly to price or make contact, Giving you more than one price quickly.

Also sparks when sparks list what they need,other sparks can see it and may be able to get in touch as they may have the stock left over from a job that they could sell cheaper than wholesaler.

My question is do you think this could benefit us sparks

Second question is what Is your biggest need or problems when it comes to materials.

Love to hear back?

Sorry for long post, just looking at way to help everyone out.

Matty

Hear your point, but would it not help, if you needed a price or information and you could just upload it and it be seen by suppliers who can price it for you juat like that,

Say you you are on a job and find something you dont know and take picture and upload it, a supplier who listed might be able to get in touch

??

The second part regarding unwanted stock but most sparks have accounts with wholesalers and probably email a list to them.My biggest problem is that wholesalers don't keep the range on the shelf that they used to.

Brilliant, this is why I asked, I have a few ideas and thats why I am asking, it's all early stages and not much time spent on it, thought I'd run it past you guys for feed back,
If it's a majority no go then I call it,
Bit thanks for feedback so far

I too am accumulating unwanted stock. A while back, I listed (and sold) a few items on eBay, but I eventually reckoned the time spent selling & shipping would be more profitable just doing a few more jobs, so I gave up.

So now, I tend to be quite strict in making sure the customer pays for all of any non-standard materials I order for a job, and I can either give away leftovers, or scrap it.

That said, I am forever binning MCBs from pre-populated CUs that weren't needed, but there is no market for them.

I too am accumulating unwanted stock. A while back, I listed (and sold) a few items on eBay, but I eventually reckoned the time spent selling & shipping would be more profitable just doing a few more jobs, so I gave up.

So now, I tend to be quite strict in making sure the customer pays for all of any non-standard materials I order for a job, and I can either give away leftovers, or scrap it.

That said, I am forever binning MCBs from pre-populated CUs that weren't needed, but there is no market for them.
a second business selling from fle bay hope the tax man does not see this .

Last edited:
How many other sparks have stuff left over, sure there is a market for diy enthusiastics to buy stuff at reduced rate?

EBay is long, have to wait, must be an easier site, with geo location so you see if anyone selling local, suppose Facebook but that's quite vague.

a second business selling from fle bay hope the tax man does not see this .

Oh dear , they DO see it all.

HMRC get data from all sorts of institutions, they miss nothing. Whether they can be bothered to tax you for selling a few hundred quids worth of stuff on eBay is another matter.

There was a programme on TV a few months ago about this ..

Reply to Searching for materials?? Problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net