Discuss Seeking Advice - Considering training on a 2357 course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

alex8p

Hello Chaps and Chapesses

I appreciate this sort of question has been asked many a time and believe me I have just about read them all..

I hope you all are not sick and tired of the same questions but here goes.

At 35, I'm considering a whole new career change. Presently, I'm in a white collar job and for as long as I can remember I've mainly hated it. I don't why it's taken so long for me to do something about it.

I've always enjoyed and seem to get a lot of satisfaction using my hands (please no puns). For about 6 months, I've been looking into these electrical training courses and have narrowed it down to 1 - TradeSkills 4U seem to be the best out of a bad bunch. The particular course I'm looking at is the CG 2357 - on the face of it and with my limited knowledge seems to be the one to get. The course itself is spread over 15months with 1 week a month training for part 1

Could I ask, are there any on here who've gone down this route of self funding (not those who are on a apprenticeship) - specifically the 2357 with tradeskills 4U. "What are your experiences of the course? have you managed to gain employment whilst still training and for those who are on Prt 2, how is this going? could you do Prt 2 (the onsite assessment period) whilst working as an Electricians mate?

The alternative is th CG 2365 level 2 and 3. Do any of you think this is a worthwhile qaul, that will lead to employment within the Electrical trades? are these the sort of qauls employers desire.

Has any of you guys, who've self funded on one of these courses managed to secure employment in the Electrical trades?

I have a realistic view that this isn't going to be easy and I am fully prepared for the long haul and start at the bottom.

The job I'm in, I get zero satisfaction and I know I should count my lucky stars I'm in a job, but it's destroying me. One day I'd like stand back and say to myself 'I did that' and be proud I've done a good and meaningful job.

Any feedback, constructive or otherwise will be immensely appreciated

All the Best

Hi there, If your heart set on doing the 2357 then go for it, Very good for learning the technical stuff with a little practical as well

However the practical is usually in a bay where you haver to wire a ring main on a wall to a db, you learn how things are wired and how to test but unless your working in the real life its not setting you up for the real word.

As for train to trade, I have not herd any feedback about them so couldnt possibly comment about them but when I was looking i found the private centres very expensive compare to the local collages however you could pass in half the time

From personal experiences i found the college stuff very good and learnt a lot, But the practical stuff is where i learned my trade. Do you know anyone in the trade?

Thanks Dave
Unfortunately I don't any Sparkys - another obstacle. Also, a bit concerned about the practical side. I see this as essential and it just may put me off

Hi Alex, in my opinion, someone in your position would be best going down the 2365 route as it is a level 3 qualification, it can be studied on an evening basis over three years at a local college (FAR cheaper than any corporate training provider!) which would mean you would be able to continue in your current job whilst you study, and finally you don't need to be employed within the industry to complete the qualification.

With the 2365 under your belt you would be far more likely to find work and it is at the point where you do and you quit your current job where I would then enroll on the work based assessment part of the 2357 as you would be employed in the industry.

If you're happy to lose money both by leaving your job and also by paying a corporate training provider very high fees then by all means go for it, but I stand by what I say, you are going to be far more likely to be able to find work in the industry when you have an actual qualification as opposed to being at college. Bear in mind that you HAVE to be employed in the industry to complete the 2357, so you may find yourself stuck between a rock and a hard place if you chose this option ie; without a job, without a qualification to get one and unable to complete the qualification you need to get a job because you don't have a job!

In summary, my advice is; slug it out in your current job for another 2/3 years whilst you study the 2365 a couple of evenings per week, then when you have that certificate find a job in the industry (it will still be hard, but with an actual qual you stand a chance). Once employed as an electricians mate or apprentice enroll on the 2357 which depending on how long you take to complete the units will take between 6-18 months to complete. You will then be a fully qualified spark (bar one or two additions to be taken at your own pace; 2382, 2394, 2395, 2396).

Although a lot longer process, I believe this to be the least risky of the options available to you with little to no risk of being out of work whether employed in your current line of work or as a spark/mate. You also stand to be far better off financially at the end of it! Lol.

Whatever your choice I wish you the best of luck! And always remeber, there are plenty of us on here that will gladly help with any questions or queries that you may have and finally, well done! Well done for making the right choice in choosing a proper qualification and not some pony 5 day domestic installer course, people like you will always be a valuble asset to the trade. I salute you! :)

Reply to Seeking Advice - Considering training on a 2357 course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net