Discuss Select or NICEIC or..... None?? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

daveb

-
Reaction score
Hello fellow sparks,

I've spent the last couple of months setting up my own domestic electrical company here in Scotland and would like your opinions on the following. Quick background is that I am still working for another company as an electrician but am also building up my own business on the side during the evenings & weekends. I'm a ltd company, have my public liability insurance, multi function tester etc.

1. I am wanting to join the NICEIC mainly because it seems to be easier and asks for less hoops to jump through compared to Select. Select will only allow approved electricians to join which personally I find unfair. Looking to see what I would need to do for my approved certification looks to be the same as what I went through years ago for passing my FICA test (to pass my apprenticeship). The NIC however will be around £800 though which my business can't afford right now. That's £400 joining and £400 membership. Apart from being able to brand yourself as being with a certified body, do you think this will bring me other business benefits?

2. I have recently sat and passed my 17th edition around a year ago as the last qualifications were my 16th edition. That means my inspection and testing are also 16th edition. Obviously I am able to test domestically but I would like to get into being able to offer and provide inspection reports for the likes of landlords. Legally, would I need a separate testing course to be able to do this?

3. Has anyone else recently set up a small company that could give me any pointers, especially with the likes of recommended courses that would add benefits to what I could offer? The type of electrical company I am branding myself as, is one that is purely domestic doing fuse board upgrades, sockets & lighting, kitchen & bathroom upgrades, inspection and testing etc.

Thanks

Last edited:
Re: New business questions

There are a number of very similar threads in the business section on this forum, so your first stop should be there.

Have you registered with HMRC being self employed?

Re: New business questions

Yes thanks - I'm fully registered with the hmrc and companies house. Was more after electrical based help and suggestions rather than administrative ones but appreciate the help anyway

for the general public i wouldn't bother. most of them have never heard of niceic or select. if it's rentals and hmo's the letting agents and councils expect you to be registered.

Hello fellow sparks,

I've spent the last couple of months setting up my own domestic electrical company here in Scotland and would like your opinions on the following. Quick background is that I am still working for another company as an electrician but am also building up my own business on the side during the evenings & weekends. I'm a ltd company, have my public liability insurance, multi function tester etc.

1. I am wanting to join the NICEIC mainly because it seems to be easier and asks for less hoops to jump through compared to Select. Select will only allow approved electricians to join which personally I find unfair. Looking to see what I would need to do for my approved certification looks to be the same as what I went through years ago for passing my FICA test (to pass my apprenticeship). The NIC however will be around £800 though which my business can't afford right now. That's £400 joining and £400 membership. Apart from being able to brand yourself as being with a certified body, do you think this will bring me other business benefits?

2. I have recently sat and passed my 17th edition around a year ago as the last qualifications were my 16th edition. That means my inspection and testing are also 16th edition. Obviously I am able to test domestically but I would like to get into being able to offer and provide inspection reports for the likes of landlords. Legally, would I need a separate testing course to be able to do this?

3. Has anyone else recently set up a small company that could give me any pointers, especially with the likes of recommended courses that would add benefits to what I could offer? The type of electrical company I am branding myself as, is one that is purely domestic doing fuse board upgrades, sockets & lighting, kitchen & bathroom upgrades, inspection and testing etc.

Thanks

I'll help if I can and proffer my opinion...

My local SELECT baffoon isn't an approved electrician so I'd check out that side of things if you prefer the SELECT route.

I'm registered with the NICEIC, so can only really speak for them and my experience or knowledge. You will need more than 17th Ed to register with them. At least 2391 or equivalent. The website details the requirements. The initial assessment is a day long and includes 3 phase etc. Hence the cost I guess. Thereafter annual registration is around £400 and assessments are annual.

In in my mind the main consideration is around registration generally, or not, just like the relentless argument on this forum about the situation in England - but at least we don't have DI's! In my area I'm flooded with Roger and Brian bodgers, dangerous Daves etc. All unregistered and thus all at an unknown standard (read that as a poor standard). For Jo(e) public looking for an electrician the initial thing that sets me apart from them is registration. Sort of a foot in the door. Once that door is opened you can at least tell them someone checks your work, competence, testers, insurance on a regular basis unlike the unregistered idiots. Ok, I know this statement will fuel pages of dearth about 'scams' etc, but I'm competing against ships engineers, physics teachers etc that all call themselves electricians.

If if you want to sign off new builds the easiest route is to register with SELECT or NICEIC, else you need to show competence in another way (e.g. SJIB) and sit the LABC test. If you want to do EICR's under the new tenant housing Act then again you need to be registered or show competence in another way (see the rules check sheet). In each case it's just easier and less of a ball ache to be registered.

The NICIEC have realised there are electricians in Scotland and we are served by their annual roadshow which is a free (for the cynics I appreciate you've paid your scam membership) half day event. No need to travel to Glasgow or Edinburgh anymore, they go to Aberdeen and Inverness. I've seen/felt a change with the NICEIC towards their (Scottish) members in the last few years and find them much more helpful and customer focused. I understand that SELECT do what they call toolbox talks.

The NICEIC also offer their platinum guarantee on your work. Something you can use as a marketing tool? Not aware select offer anything similar.

And finally, right or wrong if anyone's heard of any Scam it's going to be the NICEIC over SELECT any day of the week IMHO.

Hope these comments help. Post up or PM me anything else you want to know.

My local SELECT baffoon isn't an approved electrician so I'd check out that side of things if you prefer the SELECT route.

I'm registered with the NICEIC, so can only really speak for them and my experience or knowledge. You will need more than 17th Ed to register with them. At least 2391 or equivalent. The website details the requirements. The initial assessment is a day long and includes 3 phase etc. Hence the cost I guess. Thereafter annual registration is around £400 and assessments are annual.

In in my mind the main consideration is around registration generally, or not, just like the relentless argument on this forum about the situation in England - but at least we don't have DI's! In my area I'm flooded with Roger and Brian bodgers, dangerous Daves etc. All unregistered and thus all at an unknown standard (read that as a poor standard). For Jo(e) public looking for an electrician the initial thing that sets me apart from them is registration. Sort of a foot in the door. Once that door is opened you can at least tell them someone checks your work, competence, testers, insurance on a regular basis unlike the unregistered idiots. Ok, I know this statement will fuel pages of dearth about 'scams' etc, but I'm competing against ships engineers, physics teachers etc that all call themselves electricians.

If if you want to sign off new builds the easiest route is to register with SELECT or NICEIC, else you need to show competence in another way (e.g. SJIB) and sit the LABC test. If you want to do EICR's under the new tenant housing Act then again you need to be registered or show competence in another way (see the rules check sheet). In each case it's just easier and less of a ball ache to be registered.

The NICIEC have realised there are electricians in Scotland and we are served by their annual roadshow which is a free (for the cynics I appreciate you've paid your scam membership) half day event. No need to travel to Glasgow or Edinburgh anymore, they go to Aberdeen and Inverness. I've seen/felt a change with the NICEIC towards their (Scottish) members in the last few years and find them much more helpful and customer focused. I understand that SELECT do what they call toolbox talks.

The NICEIC also offer their platinum guarantee on your work. Something you can use as a marketing tool? Not aware select offer anything similar.

And finally, right or wrong if anyone's heard of any Scam it's going to be the NICEIC over SELECT any day of the week IMHO.

thanks for the comments - much appreciated. Re the NICEIC registration, I had already e mailed them a list of my qualifications that are on the back of my ECS card and they said that this would be enough to join (pending work place review and assessments etc). This was me informing them I had an SVQ III apprenticeship, 16th edition inspection and testing, 17th edition and my health and safety cert. From what I see the 2391 (or whatever it has been replaced by) is for those pursuing to become a commercial installer whereas I am remaining domestic?

thanks

dave

Hi Dave.
in Scotland the NICEIC do not differentiate between domestic and commercial like in England with Aproved contractor or Domestic installer. In Scotland you are either an Approved Contractor or nothing, whether you choose to stick to domestics, or not is your business choice.

Hi Dave.
in Scotland the NICEIC do not differentiate between domestic and commercial like in England with Aproved contractor or Domestic installer. In Scotland you are either an Approved Contractor or nothing, whether you choose to stick to domestics, or not is your business choice.

Hi there - maybe they have relaxed their requirements? I was very specific in listing my qualifications to have them look at them and make a decision. I'll get back in touch with them to reiterate and mention what you have to see what they say.

Thanks

Dave

meant to ask - is there a way for me to become registered without joining the NICEIC or Select?

meant to ask - is there a way for me to become registered without joining the NICEIC or Select?
Registration normally refers to registration with a scheme provider, so in short no. If you have a SJIB you could just crack on but there will be extra hoops to jump through in certain circumstances as outlined above. Alternatively don't register and trade as you want to but, it might limit some types of domestic work you can do.

Reply to Select or NICEIC or..... None?? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock