Discuss Self Employed - Paying workers in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

philr08

Hi all, i went self employed last november and had been working as a sub contractor for a company who done all my cis tax for me. Im now working for myself but have been paying someone else to help me week by week. he is also self employed but if i get the money payed into my account from the client and then pay him, what happens with my tax form at the end of the year?? will i have to pay all the tax on all the money we have earnt??

Hi mate the government are running loads of free seminars at the minute for sole traders only. It covers in detail everything about tax, business expenses and other expenses, you can claim for loads more than I thought I could! It's well worth the two hours of your time! Look hmrc website for dates and places

afaik, if your helper is not a ltd. co., then he should be cis registered and you should stop his tax. then pay it to the leech. ( taxman )

If only it was that simple. Unfortunately there is something called the CIS scheme.

Cheers..........Howard

what is the point of the CIS scheme? i'm currently on it and to be honest, I wish i wasn't.
why can i not invoice the contractor i work for, and then get paid gross, keep all of the money and then pay the tax i owe at the end of the year?

because the taxman wants to stop the fly-by-night, cash in hand , pay no tax brigade. used to be rife in the construction industry.

what is the point of the CIS scheme? i'm currently on it and to be honest, I wish i wasn't.
why can i not invoice the contractor i work for, and then get paid gross, keep all of the money and then pay the tax i owe at the end of the year?

See the post below yours, Tel has hit the nail on the head.

Cheers....Howard

what is the point of the CIS scheme? i'm currently on it and to be honest, I wish i wasn't.why can i not invoice the contractor i work for, and then get paid gross, keep all of the money and then pay the tax i owe at the end of the year?
You can, as long as you only work occasionally for them

Last edited:

Reply to Self Employed - Paying workers in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock