Discuss Selv box on Shedule of Inspections in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

U

U Jay

Hi All,

Could someone confirm for me whether, on the Shedule of inspections under " Basic and Fault Protection", the Selv box should be ticked if there is low voltage lighting present in the installation.
I'm a bit rusty on the form filling. :(

U.

Hi All,

Could someone confirm for me whether, on the Shedule of inspections under " Basic and Fault Protection", the Selv box should be ticked if there is low voltage lighting present in the installation.
I'm a bit rusty on the form filling. :(

U.

First of all i would suggest you check out the definitions of low voltage. Low voltage is >50 V a.c and <1000 V a.c so most lighting would be low voltage. The check box you mention is SELV which is seperated extra low voltage <50 V a.c. This should only be ticked if it is SELV and complies to section 414.

Guess I warked right into that one!
Yep, I am aware of the distinction and what defines "low voltage" and was using the term loosley to describe your average 12v transformer driven recessed downlighter. Thanks for the input anyway, sorry for wastin' your time.

Guess I warked right into that one!
Yep, I am aware of the distinction and what defines "low voltage" and was using the term loosley to describe your average 12v transformer driven recessed downlighter. Thanks for the input anyway, sorry for wastin' your time.

As was mentioned on another posting it all comes down to the correct terminology.

Why do people on this forum get so hung up on terminology.
U Jay asked a straightforward question about what to tick in the schedual of inspections and gets patronising corrections to his wording in response.
We all know the correct terminology but I'd like to know who amongst us ask for a selv lamp in the wholesaler, all the catalogues talk about low voltage lights and transformes, and I know I would soon start loosing customers if I kept tut tutting everytime they asked me for a 50w 'bulb' for their 'low voltage lights'

As was mentioned on another posting it all comes down to the correct terminology.
.....and I stand corrected if not a little humiliated, however if all queries were answered by throwing regulation references at them it would rather defeat the purpose of the "Forum" and make life very dull indeed.

i have removed that now des, the 'erm' is the hesitation i go through every time i am about to post for fear of being jumped on and torn apart by the jobsworths/know it alls and terminology boffs. :):D:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Was only meant in jest
I will be more careful with light hearted comments when I reply in future
Not all things are best taken so seriously

I must admit, I don't tick this box as the 12v fittings I install are connected to a 230v low voltage circuit and the transformers are not fitted as a method of protection against electric shock.
Rightly or wrongly I have allways taken the selv box under the basic fault protection heading to be refering to a selv circuit .
I don't know if this is correct, it's just my take on this. I'm sure others will disagree.

Thanks for the reassurance and interesting replies, for a minute I was afraid I had inadvertantly logged onto the wrong forum!

I think Andy got to the heart of where my query lies,

"Rightly or wrongly I have allways taken the selv box under the basic fault protection heading to be refering to a selv circuit .
I don't know if this is correct, it's just my take on this. I'm sure others will disagree."

A lighting circuit may include a Selv "element" in say a kitchen or bathroom, the question is whether to tick the Selv box in this instance. Phew, got there in the end.......now I'll sit back and await the volley of abuse!:D

Thanks for the reassurance and interesting replies, for a minute I was afraid I had inadvertantly logged onto the wrong forum!

I think Andy got to the heart of where my query lies,

"Rightly or wrongly I have allways taken the selv box under the basic fault protection heading to be refering to a selv circuit .
I don't know if this is correct, it's just my take on this. I'm sure others will disagree."

A lighting circuit may include a Selv "element" in say a kitchen or bathroom, the question is whether to tick the Selv box in this instance. Phew, got there in the end.......now I'll sit back and await the volley of abuse!:D

Read portable appliance book for IEE etc, ELV lighting can be Class III and Selv so I believe is it is correctly marked and tested and found to be SELV I tick the box, and tested a lot of shop frount lighting mixed with other lights that were SELV, so ticked box, NICEIC or other may have different requirement.

Also as long as you test transformers, whether you tick or not is I believe a minor point, unless specified in contract then it will be important.

Something more to think about, if you get a diffentive let us all know

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Selv box on Shedule of Inspections in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net