Discuss Semi-permanent power to caravan in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am putting together some 32A 1phase connections for plugging in a caravan to the house power. I was planning on using SY flex or SWA, from consumer panel to a 32a socket, would that socket need a rotary isolator? I'm thinking yes, it will be on a dedicated MCB, and next to the consumer unit, but maybe should still have one to prevent it from being unplugged while switched on.

If I'm using SY flex, I'm not sure the difference between standard whiska stuffing glands Vs. skintop glands.

The caravan has a 32a blue commando style plug on it, so I'm wondering wether I can just run a lead over on a catenery wire and plug it in, it runs along side a tall hedge. It seems a lot of work to dig a trench, bury SWA, and mount a box on the caravan, so really I'm looking for an easier method, and what would be the appropriate type of cable to use. I am competent in sizing the cable appropriately and allowing for voltage drop over length. But I want to know if there is a safe alternative to excavation and trenching a cable, as the caravan will be there whilst the house is under renovation, so it is only semi permanent, and don't want to dig up a cable afterwards.

dig a trench and bury a duct, bearing in mind that you may want garden lights etc. after the project is complete. install SWA and a draw string and use the SWA for the caravan for now, leave in after for future possible use. a rotary isolator is debatable. USA regs. are different to ours.

I wouldn’t use SY as it isn’t outdoor rated and not recognised as a BS cable, gor for armoured.

For clarification, the install is in the UK. I see the benefits of using a duct, the cable can be removed without digging, but if the cable is in a duct, then it has mechanical protection by the duct, so what would be the incentive to use SWA if not buried directly, if I could stub up my duct onto the building, so the conduit is continuous end to end, (into a box for connections, then could I not just use an SY or similar flex, seeing as the cable is not exposed at any point.

Regardless of its verification SY is performs terribly outdoors, it lets water in and the insulation degrades for the UV.

But surely if it's all ducted in a suitable conduit, then a standard stranded copper cable with suitable temperature range on the insulation material could be used rather than SWA, I just don't see the reasoning behind pulling SWA in a conduit, seems like overkill to me.

But surely if it's all ducted in a suitable conduit, then a standard stranded copper cable with suitable temperature range on the insulation material could be used rather than SWA, I just don't see the reasoning behind pulling SWA in a conduit, seems like overkill to me.

I don't think, I might be wrong, a 'standard stranded copper cable' is designed to be installed in such circumstances, regardless of it being installed in a duct or suitable conduit?

It may be affected by water or damp, where an SWA would not.

So as far as I can see, SWA all the way for outdoor power... Burial in duct vs. direct means it can be pulled out afterwards, but is there any reason why I couldn't just put a catenery wire from the building to the caravan and support the SWA that way, on metal zip ties, seems to me that would be far more convenient. Much quicker install and remove.

There is also the consideration of the type of supply, you are intending to connect the caravan up to. Although it might not fall into the realms of section 708, its sounds like it will be on a building site. Dunno what others think in terms of a PME supply?

So as far as I can see, SWA all the way for outdoor power... Burial in duct vs. direct means it can be pulled out afterwards, but is there any reason why I couldn't just put a catenery wire from the building to the caravan and support the SWA that way, on metal zip ties, seems to me that would be far more convenient. Much quicker install and remove.

As it's temporary, could it not be routed above ground, in a suitable way not likely to attract potential strain or damage?

As it's temporary, could it not be routed above ground, in a suitable way not likely to attract potential strain or damage?

Will have a read of section 708, thanks. It is going to be temporary supply on a building site, and it could be placed above ground, along the hedge, but I was erring on the side of caution, incase building materials get thrown on top of it !

Will have a read of section 708, thanks. It is going to be temporary supply on a building site, and it could be placed above ground, along the hedge, but I was erring on the side of caution, incase building materials get thrown on top of it !

Good point.

I was asked recently, to put in a supply for a mobile caravan, that spent the winter at the home owners address. They had a PME supply, and wanted to 'plug' in their caravan as they would on a site.

I asked my Scheme, who advised as I recall, that 708 applies to caravan parks & similar locations. But the designer could consider this section may apply in a domestic situation as I described.

Other words, down to you son!

SWA. SY is not suitable for this application as it is susceptible to moisture and also UV damage. And, as others have mentioned, it's not a recognised cable.

Hi - if there are building works in the vicinity then perhaps consider the van and it's supply for TT. I'd use SWA anyday :)

Reply to Semi-permanent power to caravan in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock