Discuss Seperate RCD enclosure in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

leep82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Ive recently been out to look at a kitchen refurb, where a split load mem memera 200 consumer unit is installed. The ring final circuit supplying the kitchen has 30mA RCD protection, no issues here. My issue is the oven supply. The OCPD is a 32a cartridge fuse which is on the non RCD side of the consumer unit.

The proposed work would involve the reposition of the old oven supply, utilising it for a new induction hob. This would involve chasing out into a wall and obviously the need for RCD protection. Im unsure due to the age of the board as to whether RCBO’s are available. With this in mind i suggested a seperate enclosure adjacent to the consumer unit to house a 63a DP RCD.

I would still be relying on the cartridge fuse for overcurrent protection in this setup, would it be better to install an RCBO in the enclosure? Just seems pointless to me.
Secondly does the enclosure need to be of metal construction? The consumer unit is of plastic construction and the suggestion of a new one to overcome the issues raised was pretty much flat refused.

come off the existing CU in 6.0mm from the fuse & N to a RCD in a plastic enclosure. then on to the cooker/oven. unless you can get a RCBO to fit in the CU,

Just noticed there, the rcbos on eBay are all sold as “used” so it’s a chance as to whether it works ok:confused:

A Memshield 2 will fit a Memera 2000 but not visa versa as the Memera 2000 has a narrower busbar tab. Strictly speaking they are not compatible due to the busbar size. True Memera 2000 rcbos were two module.

Personally i would get a small metal enclosure and bung a rcd in for the circuit you are working on. It does sometimes pay though to put a larger enclosure in so that in event of future works extra rcds/rcbos can be put in the empty enclosure for other circuits. prevents lots of 2 way boxes on the wall... as daft as it sounds larger enclosures are sometimes better priced than small ones???

I would be talking to the client about changing the CU - the board is obsolete and spares are pretty much all 2nd hand.

These conversations are difficult ........... but often a sensible course of action.
Totally agree and it was brought up, however i can only recommend.

Eaton do a compatible rcd field kit for Memera 2000 CU (Eaton MR30 rcd pod). They can be attached to a ALB 321 MCB.

It ain't cheap £100ish, and a big on the tall side. So if the wiring inside the CU is not tidy, you'll struggle to fit it.

Eaton do a compatible rcd field kit for Memera 2000 CU (Eaton MR30 rcd pod). They can be attached to a ALB 321 MCB.

It ain't cheap £100ish, and a big on the tall side. So if the wiring inside the CU is not tidy, you'll struggle to fit it.
That is an issue unfortunately as its a bit of a rats nest in the CU

Reply to Seperate RCD enclosure in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock