Discuss Seperated Electrical Supply for Flat above Shop in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just about to embark on a refurb project that is a 3 storey flat above a two storey shop.

Currently there is a 3 phase service head in the basement of the shop with a 3 phase meter feeding power via SWA to the shop CU via a switch isolator. All of this is relatively new

The flat is a different matter though, it looks like a 10mm MICC cable is connected to one of the phases on the 3 phase service head which leads up into the flat - length of route is about 25M.

The MICC feeds an old single phase service fuse and an old school 60's mechanical meter.

I spoke to the local DNO and they have no record of the single phase installation or the meter number on their systems - the top part of the building has been vacant for a considerable time.

I am waiting on the DNO giving me a date to come and have a look at it all but to my simplistic mind the MICC needs replacing asap as I need to get fire separation done between the shop and flat.

If I run in a 25mm 3 core SWA between the two points will the DNO (WPD) use it or will they insist that they have to put in their own cable? I couldn't get a straight answer when I was on the phone with them.

Currently there is no upfront overcurrent protection for the cable save for the phase fuse (which is shared with the shop), nor is there any isolation capability for the cable - once the project is complete there will be no right of access to the basement area for the owner of the flats so I would be interested in people's thoughts on whether this would be classed as a sub main / extension of tails and would require a separate switch fuse between the service heads or if it would be viewed as an extension of the dno network

Thanks

Paul

If the DNO meter is the three phase meter then any meter after that is likely to be a privately installed/owned meter.

Why does the MI cable need to come out ?

Yes there should be isolation and overcurrent/fault protection on the distribution circuit.

If there will be no access to the origin of the supply then why are the flats not getting their own supply put in ?

If I read the OP correctly the MI is not connected through the 3 phase meter but directly to the service head. Therefore it is DNO property and is effectively a separate supply to the flat. It's not a private check meter in the flat nor is the MI a distribution circuit.

If I read the OP correctly the MI is not connected through the 3 phase meter but directly to the service head. Therefore it is DNO property and is effectively a separate supply to the flat. It's not a private check meter in the flat nor is the MI a distribution circuit.
Yeah, on re-reading it does seem that way. I had assumed after the TP meter.

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments - to clarify yes the MICC is connected before the 3phase meter and I also believe the cable to belongs to the dno.

My question isn't whether I can change the cable ( I know I can't) it is if I put a suitably sized cable in for them will they use it? Or insist on their own cable.

With my electricians hat on I appreciate that the dno owning it makes it their problem - however as the project manager who needs to deliver a very high spec 6 bedroom hmo in a grade 2 listed building in 13 weeks time it is still very much my problem unfortunately.

As for the why change it, we are moving the service head/ meter/ consumer unit in the flat to put it somewhere less obtrusive and also there is a lot of new load going in to satisfy heating and cooking requirements of the hmo licence.

Last but no means least the cable looks like it has seen better days and whilst I have big openings in the structure of the building it would be far easier to renew it now.

Thanks for the responses so far, if anyone knows if they will use my cable please shout as the 3 days wait until I can get a site survey done by the dno is causing me problems.

Cheers

Paul
P.s. Will upload some pics when I work out how to from my iphone

With my electricians hat on I appreciate that the dno owning it makes it their problem - however as the project manager who needs to deliver a very high spec 6 bedroom hmo in a grade 2 listed building in 13 weeks time it is still very much my problem unfortunately.

Not sure I agree with you. You are the spark.... but you are not the project manager

Not sure what you mean Murdoch - I am the main contractor for the whole project from start to finish taking what is now a disused space and turning it into the HMO so will be acting as the project manager.

When it comes to do the rewire I will be doing that but it is probably only about 10% of the overall contract.

We cannot tell you what the DNO will or won't do, especially when you haven't even told us which DNO it is.

It's a pretty safe bet that the DNO will not use any cable which does not meet their specification and/or hasn't been installed to heir specification. You don't even know whether they will need to bring a new supply in for the flat or if they will be able to use the existing supply.

Why didn't you get the DNO involved earlier in the job, they certainly won't rush to meet your timescales. This sounds like some pretty poor project management.

Unfortunately in the real world project deadlines change and 'clients' often try to put pressure on to achieve the impossible, I don't think accusing the OP of being a poor Project Manager is called for personally, all that type of comment does is wind people up !

oh yes..... but I tend to agree with Davesparks....

We ALL know that if a project involves a DNO or BG then the prices will be high and the timescales CARP.

Reply to Seperated Electrical Supply for Flat above Shop in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock