Discuss Sequence of testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Think about it, for instance if you carried out an insulation resistance test before proving continuity of a circuit then you have not proved you have a complete circuit, and the IR results would still be good but the circuit isnt possibly.

Think of it like driving you wouldn't manoeuvre, then signal then check your mirrors would you, unless your female :sifone:

If you do any amount of testing, and start to understand what you are testing, and why you are doing a particular test you would see that they follow a logical sequence.

On initial verification you start at the beginning by doing the dead tests, and finally your live and functional tests.

Not withstanding Howards post above mine, which is one good bloody good reason by itself, you would also see the results you get on one test cross check to an extent with the next or the previous test in the sequence.

Sometimes on an Eicr it makes sense to alter the sequence slightly, so you can carry out similar tests together bearing in mind the installation is already powered up, or on fault finding where you may carry out just a couple of selected tests.

When you are more experienced in testing, and understand it better it is possible to deviate slightly in different situations, but most of the time the 'suggested' sequence is all that you need to follow, more so while you are still learning.

Other than doing the dead tests first (on a new install at least), you can do the tests in any sequence you wish. After doing them a few times, logic will prevail and you'll find the most logical way!

On a new job you do your tests working towards power on and zs.
On a periodic you are working towards powering off. ( but then logic and routine come into it and you can do what suits)

Boydy

A bit like Boydy says. For me the key difference between initial verification and periodic inspection (EICR) for the testing sequence is that on initial verification you have to do the testing in a set sequence to prove its safe to put power on (e.g. continuity of conductors/bonding, IR, polarity etc....)

On a periodic the system has already been powered up and is relatively safe (so to speak!) so you the testing sequence is far less important. The inspection bit to prove to yourself its safe to test now becomes more important than the actual testing sequence!

and ford introduced the automatic choke to stop women pulling out the button to hang their handbag on.

Reply to Sequence of testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net