Discuss Series and Parallel in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

harryharman

Hi everyone, first of all great site with some real great answers on here. I have a question which might sound silly but can't get my head around it. Series and parallel. Can anyone give me a practical real world example of the two? I've got my 2391 next month and I really don't understand what they are?!

Many thanks in advance

Harry

Series and Parallel {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Elaborate what exact area are you struggling with, the concept, the current and voltage properties of loads connected???

Like would a radial circuit be series? It was confusing me when it says remove the earth at the db when testing ze so not to create parallel paths? What is an example of a parallel circuit in a domestic dwelling

a radial circuit would be parallel

as the end usage is connect to both sides L&N

if you wired in series you would effectivly be using the neutral as feed for next light

I see, Most loads are connected in parallel with 230v between L and N, if multiple loads are on a radial and one fails the others carry on working.
Best way to describe series in domestic is the old xmas lighting that had series lighting with each lamp making up part of the circuits complete path through all the 'lets say' 40lamps, because the circuit flows through each lampin series one after the other then a failure of any lamp breaks the circuit and all lamps go out.

parallel paths = bonding to water / gas / other pipe work / other return paths to the DB.... if you remove main earth you effectively only have the main earth to test

if you wired in series you would effectivly be using the neutral as feed for next light

...and if one bulb blew every other light would stop working (think christmas tree lights)

So really, in terms of hard-wiring, hardly anything if not nothing is wired in series? Thanks by the way!

Parallel in the context of "parallel paths to earth" just means more than one route to earth. It's not related to the series versus parallel AC/DC circuits.

Although to note this applies to circuits with more than one load, a radial with one load is arguably series and parallel as it falls out of the meaning of the terms- 'Series and Parallel'.... so the OP dont get more confused.

OP has said its translating it into real terms i.e. its easy to follow and understand on paper but with alot of apprentices ive had over the yrs its hard to visualise when asked if a system is series or parallel because we use T&E cable you run the cable in series between say outside lights but when connecting you do that in parallel.

OP has said its translating it into real terms i.e. its easy to follow and understand on paper but with alot of apprentices ive had over the yrs its hard to visualise when asked if a system is series or parallel because we use T&E cable you run the cable in series between say outside lights but when connecting you do that in parallel.

Yeah that's what I was trying to figure out thanks I understand it now

2391 next month and nobody has taught you fundamental electrical theory?

Probably shouldn't have said what I did before so sorry if i offend but what's the point of posting a useless comment like that on here, it doesn't bring anything positive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Current using AC equipment will be connected in parallel. Switches in series. DC (for lighting/alarms via a transformer) could be either series or parallel. (Maybe an over simplification but may help you picture it a little easier).

Yeah they taught us it at college but ***Quote Removed***
I would tone that kind of response down or use it on someone you know well, it could be taken with great offense, and lead you to an infraction from them upstairs, i assume from Guitarist response you dont know him that well to use that humour level.

Last edited by a moderator:

I disagree, a radial circuit can be defined, as a series circuit if only one load is connected, and a parallel circuit if multiple loads are connected.

Reply to Series and Parallel in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock