Discuss Serrated washers on steel conduit in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If it was the case it is a better practice why were we not doing so decades since

I thought that we were. My understanding that in England the method was different in Scotland, so I'd be interested hearing from Scottish members.

I've always used flanged couplers that incorporate a lead washer for when I used to install conduit systems. Although that was also a requisite for the M&Q regs I was working to at the time.

All right I know I'm going to get some sheet over this, to answer a question someone posed the reason why they didn't use these things years ago was/is because installation standards have gone by the wayside, how many sparkys clean the ends of couplers when used as an end to be fitted into an accessory? how may file the lock nut? how many clean the paint from an accessory box? go figure.

I thought that we were. My understanding that in England the method was different in Scotland, so I'd be interested hearing from Scottish members.

Wales is my experience, but I would have thought the whole of the UK was more unified back then,especially trade practices concerning serrated washers :)

Looks like I don't really have an argument.

Where did you go to College Rocboni? I'm from the same area as you and I'm sure we were taught to use them at college. Also, it was standard practice when I worked for a large contractor in Glasgow. As was lock rings behind couplers, which you don't always see.

Scottish Borders.

You'll have been taught by Kenny Redpath then?

Yes but no longer teaches, used to come in to cover the odd day right up to last year, he's got two young (less than 5) kids and an Asian wife!

Who did you serve you're time with?

Last edited:
Blimey! He did have a young Asian 'friend' when I was there.
We used to call him Yoda! Malcolm Hood was the other one who taught us but he's back on the tools now.

I occasionally come across installations where serrated washers have been used, but they are normally older installations not recent ones.
A local theatre has a conduit installation where serrated washers were used throughout and I think that part of the installation dates from the 1970's

Our college completed in 2012 has them on everything, so still goes on, I do like them but doesn't look like I can justify them really.

Serrated washers should be used in conduit/trunking installs. If you are fitting a complete c/t install why use earth cables ? Serrated washers at the trunking/bushing only side is acceptable where conduit forms part of a surface installation.

I dont get why anyone would design a metal c/t install with earth cables unless the place is prone to corrosion.

The system in this particular install was designed by building services consultants and contains cpc's for all circuits. But I do agree, I personally don't think it makes a difference wether it has or not, I like to see the washers!

Serrated washers should be used in conduit/trunking installs. If you are fitting a complete c/t install why use earth cables ? Serrated washers at the trunking/bushing only side is acceptable where conduit forms part of a surface installation.

I dont get why anyone would design a metal c/t install with earth cables unless the place is prone to corrosion.

And if it is prone to corrosion then steel containment is not the most suitable solution

Serrated and spring washers were mainly used for security as Marvo has said.
Locknuts used to be common too , Along with castellated nuts and split pins.
Then came the nyloc..

Reply to Serrated washers on steel conduit in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock