Discuss Servant call bell/box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Gents. I uploaded this post via my phone but for some reason all my text disappeared. I've re posted it but have managed to work out my little problem now anyway.

It's in and old Victorian house/mansion that I've re wired Tony. I'm well chuffed that's working! It's a testament to old school trades that it's working!

Hi Gents. I uploaded this post via my phone but for some reason all my text disappeared. I've re posted it but have managed to work out my little problem now anyway.

It's in and old Victorian house/mansion that I've re wired Tony. I'm well chuffed that's working! It's a testament to old school trades that it's working!
You got my avatar pic, you live about 10 miles from me and you've nearly got the same forum name! I'm starting to think you are me in disguise

ooo, that's a lovely old bit of engineering. :) good to hear its still in service :)
reminds me of the old Gent drop flag fire panels. There's still a few of them floating about. (This one was taken out of service when they flattened the building)

DSC00242.jpg

the lecanche glass cells were low dc voltage(1.5 volts) each, the coils in the flag are dc
the old call buttons were usually positioned to the right of the fireplace and the wiring was copper with a bound silk insulation run in small tube upwards
prior to that there was a lever system with strong wire going thro various brass levers via tube actuating little bells in the servants quaters

I've recently been working in the loft of a large old house which still has the wires and levers for the servants' bells. Such a shame the bells and call pulls are now gone.

Last year I worked on a house that had these:

ICWCollegeViewbells.jpg

ICWCollegeViewgaslamp.jpg

Nice kit,electromonkey. My doctors had a smaller version up in waiting room.Took me right back,sat with me ma on bright red leather chairs on green streaked lino eyes glued to the stars.....All i need is a 63A feed on a catenary thats just failed IR test,and a delorean.....

Reply to Servant call bell/box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net