Discuss Servant call box/bell in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

electromonkey

Hello all

This may be the second time I have posted this so apologies for any confusion.

I am trying to wire an old Victorian servant call system.

I have new push buttons, bell and transformer but the call box is original.

I can get the bell to sound but the flags inside the call box I can not get to operate.

Any constructive suggestions on how I can get this working would be appreciated.

Hopefully there will be a photo of the call box attached.

Cheers

Electromonkey

Attachments

• Servant call box/bell image - EletriciansForums.net
    image.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Servant call box/bell image - EletriciansForums.net
    image.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 34
what was the problem with the flags?

Initially, I couldn't get the flags to operate at all. Now I can, but the same flag waves all the time. That's down to my wiring though. I'll update shortly with progress.

I've connected up 2 of the call buttons. Both sound the alarm but the both activate the same flag.

Sounds like you might have a back feed I'm trying to remember how I sorted one of these a number of years ago. Do the flags latch or wave on this unit

They wave. They appear to have a magnetic connection on them.

I have wired 2 call buttons up to their corresponding flags to simplify it at the mo. The bell sounds when either button is pressed but both flags operate simultaneously. It's obvious why the do but I can't work out how to connect the system together without joining the flag cables together at the bell or in terminal blocks.

I would suggest getting the multimeter out and start by testing and sketching out how the call indicator unit is internally wired it's the way I go about this sort of thing hopefully that blinding flash of inspiration occurs as to where you are going wrong as you work it through if not post your sketch up and we can take a look

is it a.c.or d.c? if it's d.c., diodes may be the answer.

If i remember right the flags are in series with the bell pushes. I've even got a drawing in a 1930's Dobbs Electrical Encyclopaedia.

Will have a look for it later, time for a drink now.

Reply to Servant call box/bell in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock