Discuss Service cable burial location in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

chronyx

I need to sink an earth rod in the general area of where I know the service cable is buried. There's a thin layer of hard standing to break through then it should be soft clay soil.

Basically just need to know if the cable comes out the front or the side of the house. Can't see from inside.

Is it worth asking SSE Power Distribution if they have a record of the cable location?

Any other ideas other than luck and extreme caution?

Suggest fitting the earth rod where you know the DNO cable won't be rather than play Russian roulette by hoping you don't hit it.

use a cat and gen,but using them close to foundations gives spurious indications.

common sense approach is best option.If you think your close to gas or mains supply or water,or even soil pipes.just use containment to move the cable a bit further away from that area and knock the earth in, and add a little extra on for the time and materials.

Two welding rods bent at right angles and divine for the cable, I had a 80% success rate when I wer a lad

i'm with dave. dig carefully by hand. seen too many builders go in like bulls in a china shop with a digger, then moan because nobody told them there was cables/gas pipes/water pipes there. maybe that's why we are considered to be the top trade, in spite of the scams thinking that anyone who's done a 5 week course can be considered competent.

I'm also with Dave, I hand dig the first 600mm carefully and usually try to twist the rod in by hand for the first 250mm after that if it's just sand or soil so you can feel any obstructions.

Reply to Service cable burial location in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock