• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Set up of workshop and now new build in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

magnoliafan89

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Recently I purchased my in laws house and as you might have seen from a previous post there was some issues. Well I found out that his workshop that is home to various big lathes and pillar drills and other heavy woodwork equipment is completely run off of an extension lead which shoots out the games room to a tree wraps around it and then goes down into this workshop where I've attached a pic of how it comes in. It feeds 9 sockets 3 lights whatever he has plugged in 4 outside lights and 3 fans.

This being fed from a socket in my house which is on a circuit which again feeds most of the house.

Well their new build which is near my property has started going up. Before it did I told him if he paid for it I'd send a feed out to his workshop properly and have a board put in there etc he didn't ever get back to me so I assumed he'd just get a generator....well turns out his idea was to get two very long extension leads plug them in together one at the workshop and the other into the second reel and this is how he is sending power up to the construction site when I challenged him on this he said it was fine his workshop had been powered like it for years and never had a problem and rhat I shouldn't think i know more than him (never have said this or made out I did)

Basically my view is that he is putting too much on the cable and when more is plugged in to the extension it's just going to get worse also the cable isn't exactly very well protected, he's bodged the sockets in his workshop as it's obviously just a radial that is slapped in...the one had loads of fine wood dust in the actual socket as he's just bashed a hole in the top to send the cables down in to....is there anything else I could maybe say to him is wrong about it as I'm going to be telling him it's all going now as I don't want it.

I have attached what I'm trying ro say as I'm being pretty long winded sorry for the rant guys

Set up of workshop and now new build 20170617_202412 - EletriciansForums.net

Personally I would think long and hard before taking any action. You have in-laws living (soon to be) in your immediate vicinity. If you start a feud now you will have to live with it and suffer the long summers ignoring each other and suffering riotous barbecues in your backyard and on and on it will go. Does the workshop form part of your property you purchased. If so, why is his equipment in there, bit confused on that one.

Just sort it out correctly for him and tell the Mrs that you are just looking after her old man. If he's worth a fortune on the inheritance just leave it be. ;-)

Hi - agree with @westward10 post #3 - you definitely do not want to be providing power to a building site via a long extension lead from your house. It is unsafe and people may get hurt. For a new house there will need to be a new supply, so why not ask for this now and an Electrician can install an appropriate temporary board for the builder?

If it is a new build BC will be all over it and no trademen are going to accept a supply from the house next door on an extension lead and neither would (should) the site foreman...would they??? or... mmmmm!

If it is a new build BC will be all over it and no trademen are going to accept a supply from the house next door on an extension lead and neither would (should) the site foreman...would they??? or... mmmmm!
Whats Building Control going to do about it? Pull out the plug?:tearsofjoy:

I do a lot of self builds and the like...an extension lead plugged into an extension lead plugged into an extension lead is often what the builder/brickie/roofer/joiner etc has used for power.

Personally I would think long and hard before taking any action. You have in-laws living (soon to be) in your immediate vicinity. If you start a feud now you will have to live with it and suffer the long summers ignoring each other and suffering riotous barbecues in your backyard and on and on it will go. Does the workshop form part of your property you purchased. If so, why is his equipment in there, bit confused on that one.

You make the long summers without them sound bad :D

His stuff is in there as it was his workshop and until he's built one on his land his stuff is just staying in there. I have pestered him to get on to different companies about supplying electricity water etc but he's just really understand organised...I truly believe he thinks he can ring these places up or tradesman and they'll be available that day.

I actually contacted western power for him as I want them to get a supply in as soon as it's watertight, they came up and then sent out prices one of which was to upgrade the transformer for 835....apparently western power should pay this as it's him using their electricity so why should he...

This is what I gotta contend with.

You make the long summers without them sound bad :D

His stuff is in there as it was his workshop and until he's built one on his land his stuff is just staying in there. I have pestered him to get on to different companies about supplying electricity water etc but he's just really understand organised...I truly believe he thinks he can ring these places up or tradesman and they'll be available that day.

I actually contacted western power for him as I want them to get a supply in as soon as it's watertight, they came up and then sent out prices one of which was to upgrade the transformer for 835....apparently western power should pay this as it's him using their electricity so why should he...

This is what I gotta contend with.

I feel your pain mate, the old saying about leading a horse to water comes to mind.

Unplug your extension lead then...............

Since the power eminates from YOUR property then you will be held at least partially
responsible if not fully responsible should something happen, and the authorities have to investigate ?
You know it's wrong, you know it's not safe !
Have it done properly,
if you don't
then you wear the risk !

Reply to Set up of workshop and now new build in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back