Discuss Settle a small disagreement with me and another sparky in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Baker1988

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi just wondered if any one could settle this disagreement me and another sparky I work with are having.

Basically do lighting circuits need rcd protection? The circuits I am on about are already existing (doing eicr?) and it is all surface mounted in pc trunking one of the circuits goes into a bathroom but the bathroom has supplementary bonding and also the main bond to gas and water is in place. It's a tn-s earth.

I basically say it doesn't need a rcbo (board is rcbos with 2 mcb for lighting) and he is saying it does.

Its work for a local council and have been told to rectify any c1 or c2 there and then but can leave c3s

I may be wrong and I'm happy to learn if I am.

This is always open to needless debate on an EICR, you are not there to decide if it needs additional rcd protection but to make a statement of fact it does not have this provision. Deciding on a Code you need to assess whether existing provisions which are or not in place make it safe for continued use.

Is that just on new installs as I would agree they need it but what if they havnt got it. What would you code it?
The fact is it does not have it and this is what you state, question is does it affect the safe continued use in its absence or are existing provisions adequate.

If it is your professional opinion that the design of the existing installation does not present a significant risk but has the capability to be improved then this would be a C3 on your report, because that is what you are reporting, your assessment of the risk.

With ADS and supplementary bonding in the bathroom the touch voltage in the case of a fault should not present a risk therefore it is not necessary to have 30mA RCD protection, however it it were in place this would be an extra layer of safety and would be in agreement with the current regulations.

An assessment can be made of the effectiveness of the supplementary bonding which I'm sure as part of the testing process you have done:)
Basically if the lighting circuit in the bathroom is protected by a 6 amp type b mcb then the formula
50/Ia is used
So 50/30= 1.667 ohms
So as long as your resistance of the pipework is below this figure the supplementary bonding satisfies the regulations
Also worth remembering that all circuits serving the location without rcd protection need to be supplementary bonded together to the extraneous parts

Last edited:
Sorry lads i forgot to update you all.

basically he agreed with me and we wasnt going to put one in but then the boss came and said basically the niceic have apparently said to him to put any lighting circuit containing a bath or shower on rcd/rcbo so any we find have to be changed to an rcbo so that is what we are doing.

I dont personally beleave the niceic have said this as such a blank statement that they all have to be rcd protected but who am i to argue with the boss.

Sorry lads i forgot to update you all.

basically he agreed with me and we wasnt going to put one in but then the boss came and said basically the niceic have apparently said to him to put any lighting circuit containing a bath or shower on rcd/rcbo so any we find have to be changed to an rcbo so that is what we are doing.

I dont personally beleave the niceic have said this as such a blank statement that they all have to be rcd protected but who am i to argue with the boss.

On the basis the NICEIC don't write the regs, did they offer up any reg to support this?

Did the existing bathroom have all circuits in the location and all extraneous parts in the location supplementary bonded together?
If so a simple C3 for no rcd protection can be recorded.
Were the NICEIC aware of all the facts before they commented?

On the basis the NICEIC don't write the regs, did they offer up any reg to support this?

I honestly dont know, probily not though. he just told me that they said to put rcd protection on all lighting circuits that have a bath/shower. i personally dont beleave him i just think he was sticking up for his golden boy and didnt want him to be proven wrong. i didnt argue with him he told me to put them all on rcbo and as it doesnt make it unsafe i just did it like he asked.

Did the existing bathroom have all circuits in the location and all extraneous parts in the location supplementary bonded together?
If so a simple C3 for no rcd protection can be recorded.
Were the NICEIC aware of all the facts before they commented?

as far as im away the niceic told him this about another job he was on and just made the blanket statement they should all be on rcbo/rcd, which i dont beleave.

also yes the supp bonding was in place and every thing and i did give it a C3 but he still told me to change the mcb for a rcbo

Reply to Settle a small disagreement with me and another sparky in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net