Discuss Shared neutrals in lighting circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Graham Hyde

I am sure this has likely been discussed many times on the forum.

Throughout my apprenticeship I heard about the fabled shared neutral on hall/landing light circuits but never actually come across one. I was told in college there is no way of testing directly for shared neutrals !?

I am now sorting out the last parts of the portfolio of the NVQ and prepping for the AM2 in due course.

I am writing up the method statement of changing a CU to a split load board with 2 RCDS, I assisted on a CU change recently and once the new one was in the RCD's were tripping. The testing prior to the change did not indicate a shared neutral.

The guy I am working with checked the downstairs and upstairs switch's and said it suggests the shared neutral. At the time i did not think to question exactly what told him this was the case, Given the walls are all going to be replastered as part of the refurb, sorting this out was no major issue. and the circuits are now independent and the RCD's no longer trip.

Unless i am mistaken the only test that might indicate shared neutrals would be IR tests of the circuits and a combination of turning switches and mcbs on and off to see if lights still work... Are there others?

Testing is one thing but the skill i guess is in interpreting the results. What anomalies out of the normal range would i expect to see if indeed there is a shared neutral between the downstairs and upstairs light circuits when carrying out any tests ?
Also what would a visual examination of the switches show? as if all wires are in at a switch it doesn't automatically follow that the same wire is terminated in the correct point at the other end..

Finally, i have been told that often if it is too much effort to split the circuits correctly, then sometimes you will come across both upstairs and downstairs light circuits (subject to how much power the lighting outlets will draw) in one mcb on just the one side of the board to avoid tripping. Which from what i can tell is against the regs? Surely the onus is on the person doing the install to put right the issue and resolve the neutrals and not bodge it..

Any help or advice would be appreciated on this as it is something i am not too familiar with and am unsure about.

with main switch and/or RCDs OFF, MCBs ON, IR test between N bars with light switched on and lamps fitted. a low reading will indicate the problem.

In the south of Ireland there is an additional test for "erroneous connections". This is done between phase conductors but could be adapted.

Sounds like a global IR test was done, big mistake. With all lamps in and switches on individual tests would have shown this because both neutrals would require disconnection to get a clear reading.

It late but am missing this , have to draw it out . With all lights in and switches on knock power off switch mcbs off check on low ohm setting between the two lines any reading will tell if they are connections between the two circuits and it all the lamps are working then the bridge between the two circuit could well be the neutrals . People get harmed in most cases changing a light fitting after isolating the circuit pulling the neutrals apart the the hidden neutral gets you .if unsure(and some times it a gut feeling (trust it)) touch each neutral to earth. Again it's late possible talking nonsense.

There are other,quicker ways of identifying this particular problem,if you have complete control,of the installation. There is also,the chance that the neutral shared,is not from another lighting circuit,just a nearer,available neutral. I have seen this on occasion,where the reverse of a lighting switch,is adjacent to an airing cupboard.

If concerned,an hour with a wander lead,and a notepad,can pay dividends.

Ascertain which lights are on which breakers, i.e. turn off downstairs lighting MCB and landing light goes off. Now, to check for a "borrowed" neutral, disconnect the neutral of the downstairs lighting circuit,with both MCBs turned off. Re-energise the upstairs lighting MCB, and if the landing light comes on, Voila, "borrowed" neutral.

There are other,quicker ways of identifying this particular problem,if you have complete control,of the installation. There is also,the chance that the neutral shared,is not from another lighting circuit,just a nearer,available neutral. I have seen this on occasion,where the reverse of a lighting switch,is adjacent to an airing cupboard.

Too true. IMG_0600.JPG This was in the suspended ceiling of a kiddies toilet in a nursery

Ascertain which lights are on which breakers, i.e. turn off downstairs lighting MCB and landing light goes off. Now, to check for a "borrowed" neutral, disconnect the neutral of the downstairs lighting circuit,with both MCBs turned off. Re-energise the upstairs lighting MCB, and if the landing light comes on, Voila, "borrowed" neutral.
It would also do this with a neutral/earth fault:(

Reply to Shared neutrals in lighting circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net