Discuss sharing 3 phase meter in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,I have been asked to install a 3 phase dipper tank 9.2 kw and a 3 phase heater tank 4.5kw,alas there is no 3 phase supply in the unit,the client says he has permission off the dno (I presume) and also has permission off the unit next door to share his 3 phase meter, I have never come across this before,can anyone advise me if I have to install 2 seperate meters branching off the existing one 2 supply the 2 units,so they both know how much electric they are using seperately,or is there something blindingly obvious that I have not thought about,any advice would be welcome,Thanks

Last edited:
He told me somebody came and told him to ask his neighbour if he could share his meter,I presumed it was the Dno,I will ask him on monday who he spoke too,not going near it if he doesn't have the proper permission,I was surprised when he said it because I thought the Dno would insist they did it for vast amounts of money as per.Thanks for your reply.

It is not unusual for "private" meters to be installed on the load-side of the incoming metered supply. The owner is allowed to sell the electricity to those whose electricity is load side of their own meter.

I would question the statement that the "DNO does not mind the meter being shared". They can only bill one consumer, and they definitely would not become involved in a tripartite style sharing agreement - why should they when they can simply bill one consumer.

I would want written confirmation from the DNO that this is acceptable, not because if the metering as they won't care about that, but because you will be mixing the earthing of the two supplies and may need to run a link/bond between the two METs.

The sub metering of the supply is down to the various people involved to devise what they want to do.

Private meters are fed from a landlords meter to his/her properties. Not to the "next door neighbour" As has been said, there are all sorts of issues here, earthing, bonding, means of isolation, that's without the additional load/s. Sounds like a new supply is required here.

Reply to sharing 3 phase meter in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net