Discuss Shaver Outlets and Electric Toothbrush Chargers in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wilko

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Had occasion to replace an older, noisy Shaver outlet in a bathroom and I thought I'd share the boring details (you have been warned). The old one was specified as "Shaver Only", and the new one includes the toothbrush icon. It turns out that although commonly used to charge toothbrushes the Shavers Only are not rated for continuous load. I've heard the units can get heat affected, but I've not seen it. The old one was running at 40-45C when I pulled it out today but appeared none the worse for it. And that was without anything plugged in. That brings me to the next difference, the new one has a switch on the shutters and so only draws current when something is plugged in, saving polar bears etc. I did follow manufacturers instructions and used a 45mm back box, which probably helps with cooling.

IMG_0450.JPG

One of them is clearly designated as being class II the other is labeled with the isolating transformer symbol. Only one has got a surge arrestor built in

Hi Marvo - good eyes :)
Sitting here with the old one, the dingus is in series with the tx primary winding and so I think it's a positive temp coefficient thermistor. Seems rude not to test it - got about 30 Ohm at room temp and goes to over 3K Ohm at silly hot temp from heat gun - and then recovers. That would control the current effectively if the unit got really hot, I reckon.

IMG_0452.JPG

Oops, looked surge arrestorish in the first pic. It's an odd place to locate it if it's a PTC, what would it be sensing up there? Why not strapped hard to the transformer?

Changed my shaver outlet recently (buzzing like a bee) Did strip it down and it had the contact you mentioned which turns on the transformer. But we had an electric tooth brush in it 24/7. Didnt give it a second thought and its all clear now cheers every day is a school day.

Reply to Shaver Outlets and Electric Toothbrush Chargers in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net